Peek Inside His Darkness

(Asher)

Not long after, we spiralled into a relatively normal conversation which consisted mainly of Jaxon teasing me and poking light-hearted fun at my expense. He was currently simultaneously teasing and complimenting me about Brent and how I, as small as I was, managed to manhandle the oversized turd- his words, not mine- like a pro- again, his words, not mine.

And during our conversation, we were joined by a girl with blonde hair and soft, warm, chocolate brown eyes. Jaxon introduced her as a housekeeper, and her name was Maia. She was a sub, too, and was working as a housekeeper for the West family with her mother. She had then quickly left to gather drinks and snacks for us, and even asked if I would be staying for dinner.

Jaxon and I eventually moved from the chairs, to the cushioned chair swing situated on the other end of the patio and gave us a clearer view of the pool. He was slouched down, his long legs apart in the lazy manner, and his head resting against the chair's cushioned back. I sat facing him, one leg folded under me, and my body resting against the back of the swing, my fist against my cheek.

"Okay, so really," Jaxon started again, leaning forward and grabbing a few potato chips off the tray, "what's your deal with Brent? Why does he hate you so much?" he asked, then slouched back down loudly munching on his chips. I rolled my eyes at how sloppy he appeared, yet it was endearing to see him this relaxed around me. And not uptight and making me want to slap his arrogant ass dead.

I arched a brow. "Truthfully," I began, and Jaxon nodded, listening intently for my next words, "I turned his ass down."

Jaxon choked, immediately leaning forward and coughing as he slapped at his chest. I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped.

"Are you okay?" I asked, just because it seemed like the right thing to do. He turned to look at me, the disbelief shockingly bold in his sapphire gaze.

"Are you serious? Brent Harper's gay!" Jaxon was incredulous. His sapphire eyes were wide with disbelief, such that I figured any wider and they'd pop out of his eye sockets.

"Gay, bisexual, closet, don't know and don't care." I admitted truthfully. Where Brent Harper was concerned, I really wish I had the superpower to teleport people elsewhere. I'd, without a doubt, teleport Brent Harper straight into the centre of the sun.

"So, that means he confessed to you." Jaxon said after a moment. It wasn't a question, but more like he acknowledged the possibility, and one that clearly didn't sit well with him, if his suddenly miffed expression was anything to go by. It was cute though. He was getting jealous over something that happened almost four years ago. But I didn't call him out on it.

I just nodded my head. "Freshman year. But I've been in the same school as Brent since elementary. Told him that I don't date people who hurt others and take advantage of them to make themselves feel better. I don't date bullies." When I said this, since Jaxon had been looking at me the whole time, there was no way for me to miss the flash of hurt and dejection that shadowed his gaze.

Of course, he would think he fell into that category. Maybe two days ago I would've gladly called him a bully and relish seeing the pain it caused him, even if I did want it to immediately go away. But being able to see this side of him and after all the things he'd said about himself yesterday, I have reason to believe Jaxon West may not be a generic asshole. And calling him a bully would be taking things too far.

Sighing, I tilted my head so that I could see his eyes. He'd glanced away shortly after I told him about Brent. "Brent's your basic asshole. He's a bully for no reason, other than he likes control and power over others. You're not like that."