The Mole (Part 1)

(Jaxon)

"They dusted it!"

It had been hours since Asher had returned with Laken. We'd come to Marcana territory, Dale and Laken going off separately to talk about whatever because according to what Asher had told me, they'd had a fight the night before all this shit transpired.

Asher was now comatose, falling asleep shortly after we'd crossed the borders of Marcana territory. He was now under the careful supervision of his mother, and his father having grown paranoid and unwilling to let anything happen to his son or wife, had the house heavily guarded with warrior wolves he'd handpicked.

I hadn't wanted to leave Asher's side, content on lying with him in my arms. But Marissa had disturbed my hour of bliss to say that I was needed at the conference hall, their alpha, and mine requesting my presence. Not just because my mate had fallen victim to whatever sick game Tobias was play at, but I was also Black Rock's beta.

It wasn't longer after I'd gotten to the conference hall finding there, the scout who'd run back informing us that the tracking team led by Bennett, Tucker, and Carter was returning. Inside the conference hall were all the prominent leaders of Marcana and Black Rock, and the next generation of leaders save for my mate who remained tucked away at home sleeping to his heart's desire.

And now, the tracking team had arrived, Carter leading the group inside the conference hall, huffing and puffing all the way because of the result they'd come up with.

"Already?" I queried, a quiet tick working my jaw as this unsettling news. Carter grunted in response demonstrating his dislike for the very fact that they'd gotten away.

"I swear," Bennett continued, his expression firm but otherwise gave nothing away, "it's like they knew we were coming. We chased them through town and by the time we circled back to Blackwater and where they were keeping your mates hostage, Tobias and his guys were gone. They'd even circled back to gather their dead and injured." Bennett then grinned, casting his gaze on me. "By the way, your mate's a badass. He killed like eight wolves under Tobias' leadership. And that's only the ones that kept him hostage."

Despite the conflicting predicament we'd found ourselves in, I couldn't help the sense of pride that swept over me.

He really wasn't overestimating his ability when all those times he'd thrown in my face that he was damn good at his job.

"That's great. We're still no closer to ending Tobias' power play and now he's in the wind. We have no idea how to track him and where he might go. Just. Fucking. Great."

It was Hunter whom had spoken, voicing his frustration over the matter.

"Actually, that may not be the case." Jason spoke up, capturing the room's attention. "Lance also dusted it. And at this point, it's by choice. We'll know their whereabouts since he'll he feeding information back to us."

"You really believe he can do no wrong." This time it was Alec whom had spoken, his statement successfully ticking Jason off. Up to point, I had no idea what was going on between those three. I understand that Alec didn't Lance since he had supposedly betrayed them once or twice in the past. And Jason being Lance's best friend, would defend him to the bitter end, just like I would for B. But somehow, I felt like there was something more than they let on.

Jason scowled, glaring at the third-in-command wolf. "Would it kill you to have a little faith in him?"

"In a liar and traitor. I'll take my chances." Alec shot back, earning him a threatening growl in response.

"You disgust me, you know that!"

"Enough!" came Isaiah's firm voice, bringing a come halt to all other movement and ending all arguments and conversations. And once he had everyone's eyes on him, he cleared his throat and addressed the room as he would a pack meeting. "Let's focus on the main issues here. There are a few all tied back to Tobias. Let's begin with Marcana's security. So far from all the interrogations Chad and I have carried out, there doesn't seem to be a traitor in Marcana."