Peace Interrupted (Part 2)

(Jaxon)

3 weeks later

Those fucking assholes!

Why hadn't they made a move like we suspected?

Tucker hasn't heard anything from his inside guy in all this time, and we're walking around on our tip toes. Marcana has set up even stricter patrol protocols than before. Safety was more than just a top priority now, with their future fourth-in-command at risk. Their pack was also at risk of being attacked, and the worst part was that no one knew when or if they would strike.

That inside guy had gone mum.

"Have you guys noticed anything strange?" Carter suddenly questioned. He had a fierce frown of confusion pinching at his eyebrows as he plopped down next to Sky.

It was lunch now, and the occupants today at our usual spot were me, Asher, Laken and Dale, Jason, and Sky.

We were all shocked to say the least, and Laken was the first to address it. Laken rarely spoke, so I was surprised all the more that he so casually said a word.

"How come you are not sitting with your girlfriend?" he asked, his voice as soft and calm as ever.

Carter frowned deeper. "I don't have a girlfriend." At that, Laken mimicked our collective reaction which was to incredulously stare at Marcana's future beta. "What?" he asked, having realized our reaction to his statement.

"So then what's this I hear about you and Mandy dating? She's telling everyone about how you asked her to be your girlfriend." This time, it was Sky who spoke up. Asher and I simply nodded as if to confirm Sky's story.

Carter's eyebrow twitched and his jaw clenched. "We're not dating!" he reiterated sharply.

Hmm...looks like there's trouble in paradise.

I chuckled then, drawing their attention to me. Carter crossed his arms over his chest, staring down his nose at me.

"What the hell's so funny, West?"

"I was in a similar situation once. When my first mate was still alive, and we were going strong. Mandy was for some odd reason, obsessed with me. She started this rumour that we were going out and that I didn't love Bentley."

"That's kind of twisted." Dale mused. Though his expression remained blank, I could tell he was slightly uncomfortable with that story.

"Okay, so what's your point, West?" Carter queried, bringing back the focus onto me.

"Just, be careful around her. You don't know her like I do. The girl is mad trouble."

"Whatever." Carter shook his head. "Now back to why I came over here. You guys notice anything strange happening lately?" he questioned, swiping up a fry from his tray and twirling it between his fingers.

"Like?" Sky raised an eyebrow, waiting hopefully for his friend to elaborate.

Carter expelled a deep sigh. "Like...ever since last week, those guys from Blackwater haven't really been in school. Particularly, Teddy and Davin. And they're not in school today, either." he explained.

My heartbeat sped up at his observation, and unconsciously, my hand reached for Asher's. I pulled him closer, protectively draping an arm over his shoulders.

Could it be the time was now?

"Come to think of it, I haven't seen Lance at school much, either." Asher observed, and I noticed Jason stiffen beside him. As if thinking the same, all eyes went to said person.