Reconciliation

(Jaxon)

If there was any place I would rather not be, it was here. If I ever intended to truly gain what I needed, as much as it galled me, it had to be done.

It was long overdue. And it was the least I could do. Really, it wasn't his fault. It was all mine, and he deserves an apology at least.

My conversation with Asher during lunch took a turn from sweet and promising to gloomy when he pointed out that I was being selfish. But I knew he was right. Asher was always right, and that's part of the reason I had fallen for him. He pushed me out of my comfort zone when he knew I wanted something but was too afraid to get it on my own.

Lifting my hand, I hesitated for a moment second guessing this whole thing. Could I really wait one more day?

Shaking my head, my fists clenched. "You're not a coward. You love him, and you're doing this for you. You got this." I said quietly to myself, a mini pep-talk so that I wouldn't back down and throw away my chance. Taking a deep breath, I pressed the button on the pad next to the door, hearing the chime of the doorbell echo throughout the house.

I waited for a moment, then rang it again when no one seemed to answer. On my third try, the door swung open and I felt my energy sap. Of course, he probably wouldn't be home.

I should have just texted him to meet me.

Before I could change my mind, I forcefully stole any emotion from my face as Mandy leaned against the doorframe, smirking up at me seductively, her eyes hooded as she bit her lip in suggestion and twirled a lock of blonde hair around her finger. I forced myself not to gag at her desperation.

"Is Bennett home?" I questioned, my voice monotoned and unfeeling. Mandy shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know." she replied.

"Do you happen to know where I can find him, or when he'll be back?" I followed up with another question. Mandy rolled her eyes as though she were thinking about it, but then she wrinkled her nose.

"No, and no. But why don't come in and wait for him?" she suggested, poking her breasts out. "I would love to keep you company while you wait." she added suggestively trailing her fingers along the side of her body while cocking her hip out more.

Desperate skank.

"Nevermind." I replied bluntly. "I'll find him-"

"The fuck are you doing here, West?" I heard a familiar voice growl from behind me with a familiar hatred, and honestly, I couldn't thank the piece of shit more for his impeccable timing. Mandy gasped almost as if she couldn't believe Bennett had spoken to me in such a tone.

Maybe she should pay attention more.

Turning to face him, I inwardly cringed when Mandy stepped forward, sneakily lacing her fingers on my bicep. I noticed Bennett's lip curl in disgust, his gaze zeroed in on Mandy's hand on my arm. Yeah, if there was anyone who hated Mandy more than I did, it was Bennett. And that's his sister.

"You really should watch your tone, Bennett!" she said, sneering his name as though it were poison. Mandy hated Bennett as much he hated her. But in Bennett's case, I would defend his hatred and call it justified. Mandy was just a spoiled brat. "Jaxon's your beta." she added, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her condescending tone toward her brother.

She was acting high and mighty, as if she had more power than he did. She didn't have a worthy rank. Sure, she was from the fourth-in-command family, but all the useful spots had already been filled and guess what, Bennett did a great job as fourth-in-command and picking up where his parents slack off.