The Way Things Are

(Jaxon)

Roughly 2 months later

Do you remember that scene from Mean Girls?

The one where Kady walks out of the principal's office only to find the school in utter and complete chaos? Where the girls were mercilessly trying to kill each other?

Believe it or not, I have found myself in a similar situation. And instead of being the one looking on at the chaos, I was directly at the centre of it.

On this faithful day, Jasper Falls High School had been turned into something akin to a prison with all inmates escaped and gone wild. Only, it hadn't just been the junior year boys. It was freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors all trying to murder one another.

A real life male version of that iconic Mean Girls scene.

The tension had never disappeared. It had only built and built until the high school had been frozen over with rigid tension. Everyone walked on thin ice, students tip-toeing about because no one was sure when the dam would burst, and another fight would happen.

That had been our life for the last two months and I supposed that today, the scales had finally become completely unbalanced. All hell had broken loose at the end of third period.

The usual culprit had been Teddy who decided that it was a good day to provoke Lance. When I had seen him earlier in the day, I knew right off the bat that something had transpired to upset Lance, and usually the only thing that could get him looking as he did was an argument with his father.

Teddy had decided to provoke Lance who fought back. Jason then jumped in, to part fight only to have Davin intervene which lead to his twin joining in to restrain him. For reasons unbeknownst to me, Brent decided to hop onto that bandwagon which prompted my mate to jump in. From there, like moth to flame, I followed.

The fight started in the junior locker wing and as if by some unseen force, the entire school erupted into chaos. It was senior versus junior, sophomore versus freshman; everyone tangled in a huge mess making a competition out of how many hits they could land to as many people as they can.

It appeared as though every boy had been venting his frustration and upholding personal vendettas which would explain why things escalated so quickly.

Shoving the junior guy off me- one of Brent's hooligans- he ended up slamming against the lockers giving me enough time to survey the hallway. I spotted Asher a few bodies away going at with Brent.

"Syl, get out of here!" my mate barked at the smaller human seeking refuge behind him. Syl had been with us in the junior locker wing when things escalated. My guess is that Brent had once again decided to harass the small human.

I would never understand why Brent went after the small human boy. Syl was clearly at a disadvantage being smaller, shorter and less athletic than he was. It was an unfair match-up with Brent having two years on Syl. And as of the last two months, Brent had no reason to go after him. Blake and Alexa's relationship had grown and gotten serious. Since Blackwater had arrived, Syl had another pursuer who was after him as well, but for a completely different reason.

And yet he persisted but hadn't laid a hand to Syl. The last time he did roughly one week after Blackwater showed up, Tucker went mad. It had taken Zain, Jason, Lance, me and a few others to hold him back. Thankfully, we had managed to subdue the fight before it escalated, and the faculty could get involved.

Unlike the fight that had broken out presently, control had jumped out the window a long time ago.

"Jaxon!" I heard my name being shouted and I knew instantly who called and why. My gaze flitted over to my mate who gave me a quick nod before literally jumping onto Brent. I watched in complete admiration as Asher used every part of his body to his advantage, clamping his legs down on Brent's waist, he had the human caught in headlock while he used his free arm to ram his elbow repeatedly into Brent's shoulder, jaw and neck.