What Friends Are For

(Asher)

I had some explaining to do when I got home that afternoon.

I was about to head to the border for my afternoon routine that day since I was assigned to border patrol. But when I came downstairs, Dale, Carter and Sky were in my living room, and my parents stood apart from the future leaders. Sky appeared guilty given the meek expression he wore and his timid silence which was so unlike him. But I understood why.

Dale was stoic, silent as usual but his eyes said a different story. He was in alpha mode, his eyes demanding an explanation for what happened earlier in the day between Jaxon and me. He wasn't angry though.

Carter, however, was a fuming, flaming ball of anger as he huffed and puffed. No shit, no pun intended. He was acting like the big bad wolf ready to blow my little house down.

My parents already knew what was happening given how calm they appeared about the situation given that the three prominent future leaders were standing in our living room, two or whom whose aura radiated dominance and authority.

"Explain." Dale said, crossing his arms over his chest. And I couldn't help but notice that Dale got ten times more attractive when he went into alpha mode and got all dominant.

Carter puffed and growled causing me to roll my eyes.

"Isn't it obvious by now?" I asked, stating the obvious that the question was irrelevant. They knew my history with Jaxon wasn't as terrible as Sky and Jace's, but it hadn't been all that pretty until recently. And then, the kiss...

Wasn't the first, but it was certainly a lot more enjoyable the second time around. I wasn't sure how I felt about Jaxon as more than a friend. Granted, the mating bond destined us to be together, but right now, I'm not sure if that was best. I won't deny though, that the kiss meant something. If it didn't I would have pulled away.

It wasn't like the first time either, where it was just my attraction to him and curiosity that got the better of me. There was some feeling involved. One that was familiar, but I didn't want to dwell too much on it just yet.

I had to know what Jaxon was thinking. We hadn't gotten that far yesterday when we were interrupted by the bell ending lunch. And since we had no classes together for the rest of the day, I was hoping to catch him before we went our separate ways. But, Jaxon was taking forever to get to the damn students' parking lot, and I was running late for border patrol.

So, I resorted to sending him a message telling him that I wanted to talk about that kiss. He had yet to respond.

Carter growled, storming forward as he seized me by the front of my shirt. The moment he did, my father was on his feet. "Carter, step away. You need to calm down." my father said, earning him a snarl.

Carter didn't unhand me as he turned to glare at my father. "Watch your tone. I'm your future beta." Carter snarled, but my father's expression remained neutral for a moment longer before he lifted an amused eyebrow.

"Exactly. I don't answer to you, yet. Unhand my son or do I have call your father about your behaviour?" my father retorted. It was a rhetorical question meant to frighten Carter. The moment my father mentioned Chad, Carter's father and current beta of Marcana, the future beta immediately let go of me and retreated at least five steps. His gaze was glued to the carpeted floor of the living room, almost as if ashamed.

Carter has a rather strong wolf. One so strong that if he went all out and let his wolf instincts take control, he'd be strong enough to challenge Dale and even win. But gaining control over his ridiculously strong wolf had been strenuous, not just for everyone else, but Carter in particular. I suppose the future leaders of a pack needed time to gain control over their wolves. Sky had to do the same, as well as Dale. But Carter's was a little longer.