Trouble This Way Comes

(Jaxon)

The tension didn't go away.

It came tumbling on top of me like a tonne of bricks had been thrown from a high altitude. Like a change in wind, a heavy tension and a frigid atmosphere had completely settled over Jasper Falls High School the next morning. As soon as you crossed over the threshold of the school gates, you could feel the weight of it pushing down as though a demon were perched on your shoulder.

Even the weather seemed to reflect the frigid air at the school. A cold wind blowing through the trees, ruffling the leaves, sending an uneasy chill up my spine. It seemed as though every student at Jasper Falls High- werewolf and human- had sensed the changed as a quiet hush descended upon the halls. Everyone spoke in soft tones almost as though they were afraid to disturb a smooth transition.

Except, Black Rock wolves knew that it would be anything but smooth and quiet.

But there was nothing we could do except lie in wait for the Blackwater hounds to pounce. Every student was caught up in the novelty of seeing new faces, and it seemed as though the school had been divided into two groups. Boys took to one corner, silently seething over the attention those new students received since most of them were male students. The girls gathered in groups to gossip about said students or scrutinize the few female Blackwater wolves.

"Is the tension always like this?" Tucker asked, finally coming to stand next to Asher and me. We were at Asher's locker, and since we had English first period this morning, I decided to escort my gorgeous mate.

Tucker had shown up at school with a typical novel-worthy bad-boy persona. Then again, it was naturally the aura he held aside from dominating and creepily smart. He had shown up dressed in black, head-to-toe, leather jacket; ears full of silver hoops and crossbones and his fingers each sporting a ring. To top it off, he drove into the compound on his sleek, black power cruiser immediately catching attention.

Evidently, the tension he referred to was not the silent killer air that had unknowingly settled.

Asher shook his head. "No. You guys are just show-offs. Sure, there was some 'Oohing' and 'Aahing' when Black Rock showed up but none of them showed up on a bike." he pointed out making me snicker and nod my head.

"I swear." Tucker began, ruffling the front of his silky black hair. I rolled my eyes in annoyance when I caught some girls staring at him with hearts in their eyes, and I swear a girl tripped over her feet when Tucker glanced in her direction. "It took me nearly twenty minutes to escape the crowd of girls who swarmed around my bike just now." he exclaimed as though he couldn't believe it happened.

But I knew Tucker Corbin and I didn't miss the mischievous twinkle in his gray gaze as he said this. He was relishing the attention, and the fact that ninety percent of the school population had eyes on him. Boys were envious of the attention girls were paying him.

Well...those of them who weren't werewolves with mates.

"Then don't show up looking like a Rockstar." someone said from somewhere behind Tucker. Asher and I craned our necks to see the person and Tucker glanced over his shoulder just as Jason's head popped up.

"Now that is how you dress for school." Asher pointed out, motioning to Jason's sloppy attire which consisted of dark blue track sweats with two green stripes running down the sides, and a gray sweater with flip flops.

"He literally looks like he just rolled out of bed. Look," Tucker argued, motioning to Jason's ruffled dark hair, "I bet he didn't even comb that bush."

Jason scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Why should I look all fancy to come sit through torturous hour long lectures while my butt itches? When I can come here in comfort so when I go home, it's just easier to roll back up into my blanket." Jason grinned, moving his arms in a rolling motion.