Something's Lurking

(Jaxon)

Almost an entire week has gone by since that meeting.

It seemed as though Tobias might've had a word with his 'allies'. They hadn't once made a move against us. Teddy hasn't provoked Lance either. For now, a kind of peace had settled over the high school. And as much as I wanted it to stay this way, the silence was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. It won't last forever.

It felt like the calm before the storm.

Another thing I have noticed and didn't like one bit, was the fact that Teddy has been approaching Asher the last few days. Part of me is screaming that he knows. Somehow, Teddy knows about Asher and me. Tobias and his men know, and they're plotting against me.

I would listen to the tiny part of me that says to ignore it. That it means nothing. If, I didn't catch Teddy smirking at me every time he approached Asher.

They fucking know.

The question is, how? Had they by chance seen us together? It can't be. We had been extremely careful, restricting how we saw each other down to just visiting each other's house. We didn't go on dates anymore where we ran the risk of being exposed.

The only thing we would do outside that pattern was head to the Stone's beach house. And this coming weekend would be the first time we would do that.

If they didn't see us, then the only other question was who? Who the fuck ratted us out? Who told Tobias, or Teddy, maybe even Davin?

"Why is Teddy talking to me?" Asher asked, as he plopped down next to me at our usual table during lunch. We could freely mention our relationship around the people who sat with us at lunch because they knew, and they wouldn't say anything.

I hope.

Asher picked at his food, one hand sliding under the table and onto my lap. I gripped his hand.

"Do you think he knows?" he asked, sliding his gaze over to me, as he bit into a fry.

Gods, I really hope not. I can't deal with that.

Jace then scoffed, drawing our attention to him.

"You realize other people can see what's going on under a table from certain angles, right?" he scolded, glancing at our shoulders. "Stop holding hands. You're looking to get caught."

I tilted my head. "How did you know we were holding hands?"

Jace pinned me with a deadpan stare. Expelling a breath, I slipped my hand out of Asher's and he placed his hand on his own lap. I instantly missed the warmth of his skin on mine.

"But..." Sky spoke up after a moment, "just in case, you two should be alert. We don't know for sure if they know."

Sky had been there at the meeting that week ago where I completely exploded on their beta. They now knew why I hated Blackwater.

There was so much conflict within Blackwater alone, toss my pack in and you've got chaos.

"What is Teddy talking to you about?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me. Asher averted his gaze.

"Err...nothing." he returned, uneasily. Asher caught my expression, one that said I didn't believe him. He grinned brightly at me. "Nothing to worry about."

"Lying to me now, are you?" I teased, even though part of me was bothered at the idea of it.

He expelled a breath. "Look...just promise you won't say or do anything. Promise to just leave it." he warned.