tight jeans

The 79' Camaro screeched to a halt, carelessly parked in the school lot with "Rock You Like A Hurricane" blaring out of the open windows. Roxy Hargrove sat for just a second more, her feet up on the dashboard of the car as usual, leaving scuff marks. Her twin brother Billy turned off the engine and removed the keys, stepping out of the car the same time she did. They slammed their doors shut after Maxine, their little sister, had climbed out, and stood leaning on the car watching the new world around them. Everyone would look their way, ogling them, but no one would make eye contact. After a minute or two and many, many people passing them by looking them up and down, the school bell rang. Billy threw his cigarette onto the ground, Roxy lifted her head higher, and they both made their way to their first class. 

After class an hour later, already bored and still getting weird looks from both boys and girls, Roxy strutted down the hallway with not a care in the world. Reaching the locker that was right next to her brothers, she noticed "HARGROVE" was scratched across the two of them, by Billy using his keys, no doubt. Opening it with a bang, she shoved her books into the locker right before she realised the silence that had fallen through the corridor. Turning around, she saw her brother standing over someone she didn't know, and only caught a bit of what Billy was saying.

'You might be big shot around here, King Steve, but you haven't met me. I saw the way you were looking at Ro-'

'Billy!'

Roxy immediately interrupted by placing a fist on Billy's chest, not enough force to knock him back but it got his attention. Looking at him with stern eyes, all she had to do was nod her head in the direction of the doors, signalling for Billy to go and cool off and since he knew what was good for him, he did as he was told.  

'Sorry about that.' Roxy said, turning to lock eyes with Steve Harrington,  she recognised him as one of the boys who sat in the row in front of her in her last class. You're so my type, she thought. 

'Not your fault, uh... who is that asshole? And, you're new, right?' Steve asked quickly, leaning against the lockers and watching as Roxy walked two paces to close her own.

'Roxy Hargrove. And that asshole is my brother, Billy.' Roxy said monotone; although she didn't appreciate people talking badly about her brother, she knew he wasn't the easiest person to get along with - far from it. 

'Oh shit. I'm sorry, he- he seemed great-' Steve tried to recover, taking a step toward Roxy.

'Oh it's fine. He's impossible. Let me know if he gives you any more trouble, alright? ' Roxy said nonchalantly, smirking at Steve and running her left hand through her hair. She looked to her left and noticed a few irrelevant people staring at her, and she glared at them as a way to tell them to go away, which they did immediately. 

'You've been here what, an hour? And you've already got people doing what you want, more than they'll listen to any of the teachers around here.' Steve chuckled, 'With your brother, I'll be fine, but thanks. I don't think I even know what he wanted.'

Liar, Roxy thought. Steve's eyes met the ground, and stayed there until she spoke. 'Oh please. You're the king around here, right? Billy will take the throne. And he can get pretty protective over me.' 

'Well, that's- I didn't even speak to you before now. And I don't really care about being King Steve anymore, so, he can have that.' 

'Ooh, giving up the crown?' Roxy joked. She started to walk toward the door leading to outside. 'Billy doesn't have to see us within five metres of each other. I think something tells him I'd like you'. She finished. Steve met her eyes and Roxy sent him a seductive wink as she walked out of the corridor.

Steve was captured by the enigma that was Roxy Hargrove. She confidently walked away, off to where she got out of Billy's car that morning. Steve watched as she went and as she was out of sight, he turned to go back inside, shaking his head at the thought of him making a fool out of himself in front of her.

Roxy entered the parking lot and found Billy leaning against the car, smoking. Roxy wasn't nervous to talk to her own brother, but at times, deep down she was scared if he were to have an outburst.

Roxy, Billy and Maxine were raised in a toxic household. Having an abusive father made all three children defensive and used to not getting anything from the world, though Maxine was not targeted by her step-father, of course it affected her too. They lived their life without trust - apart from each other. Roxy loved her twin brother and her step-sister, and Maxine loved her too. Billy and Max didn't get along, and although it didn't show all too much, Billy had a window of protection for Max, too. No one else knew the reason for Billy's violence, Roxy's careless attitude, and Max's rejection of friendship.

'Billy.' Roxy said, Billy turned around to face her at the sound of her voice.

'Don't start. We're not here to make friends, remember?' He jumped on the defence, not in the mood to be told off. He never is.

'Wasn't gonna lecture you.' Roxy hopped onto the bonnet of the car, holding out her arm and clicking her fingers signalling for Billy to hand her a cigarette. He gave one to her, and they sat in silence until the bell rang.

Hours and hours of pointless 'learning' (and Billy and Roxy sitting during lunch, judging their surroundings) had gone by and it was finally time to get home. Billy, fists clenched in today's grudge, walked powerfully towards his car with Roxy next to him, fixing her hair and glaring out in front of her after checking that Maxine was following behind them. Slamming the doors shut, they turned up the music deafeningly loud, and sped away, blowing off steam, to the place that wasn't a home to them, just a house.