stay alive

Feeling a small stream of blood trickle down the side of her face, she quickly turned around and leant over Steve, dropping her head so their foreheads were touching. She didn't say anything. Roxy took a few deep breaths, blocking out the fact that the two closest people to her were laying unconscious next to her. Max dug in Billy's pockets, pulling out his keys. 'Let's get out of here.' She said. Roxy sighed, knowing she was right. She stood up, but almost fell back down again with pain all over her. She rubbed her eyes, and forced herself to gain back her balance. She felt a hand on her elbow, and she looked down at Max who seemed to be trying to hold her steady. 'Are you okay?' Max asked, and Roxy put a gentle hand on the side of Max's head, giving her a smirk.

'Yeah.' Roxy said, reaching to wipe some of the blood off of her own face. She was suddenly hit with a searing headache that made her cringe. 'Kid, you're driving. Don't tell Billy.' 

**************************

After a few minutes of helping the kids nurse Steve back to a general state of health (and Max trying to get her to sit down), they all piled into the car. Roxy was next to Mike and Dustin in the back, cradling Steve's head in her lap as his body lay across them. Max and Lucas were trying to navigate and drive to wherever they were heading. Roxy blinked hard, trying to keep herself awake. She absentmindedly stroked Steve's hair with one hand while stably holding the side of his neck with the other. She laughed at how bad Max was at driving and how last-second Lucas was at navigating. But, why not let her take the car for a spin. 

Steve stirred, allowing Roxy to exhale in relief. He put his arm out to try and support himself, and Roxy took his hand for him to lean on. 'Nancy?' He said, delirious, looking at Mike. Dustin pulled Steve's hand away as he was about to touch his injured face. 

'No, no, don't touch it.' Dustin said, smiling at Steve who was slowly gaining consciousness and confusion. 'Hey, buddy... shhh. You put up a good fight. That family's insane, but you put up a good fight. No offence.' Dustin said, saving the last part for Roxy. 

She shrugged, 'None taken.' She said, agreeing with him. 'Hey, you're okay. I'm sorry, baby.' Roxy said, genuinely. She lightly ran her fingers over his hair, trying to calm him down as he was obviously hurt and ready to distress. She felt that no matter what she did now, there was no coming back from what she had done back at the house so she pulled her hand away. 

'What's going on?' Steve asked, groggily, as he took notice of Max driving. 'Oh, my god.' 

'Relax, she's driven before,' Dustin said, trying to calm Steve down.

'Yeah, in a parking lot.' Mike said, and Roxy rolled her eyes and gave him a look to tell him to shut up. 

'Oh, my god. Oh my god. Woah, woah, woah, woah. What's going on?' Steve started to yell now, sitting more upright, leaning on Roxy. She almost felt too guilty to say or do anything. Almost. 'Oh, my god. No! Stop the car! Slow down!' Steve said panicking. 

'Everybody shut up! I'm trying to focus.' Max shouted. Roxy placed a comfortable hand on Steve's shoulder and leant forward to the driver's seat.

'Ignore him, you're doing great, Max' She whispered, and they both smiled. Max accelerated, as Steve yelled louder. Roxy leaned back into her seat facing Steve.

'Stop the car!' Steve continued, and Roxy was about to try to calm him down when Max booked it to the left, veering quickly and they all screamed in shock. When they were back driving straight, Roxy noticed Steve's arm around her waist and his face on the crook of her neck, She felt his breath on her skin and she took that opportunity to wrap her arm around his shoulder and have her other hand on the back of his head. 

'Shhh. It's okay. We're okay.' She said soothingly. 'I'm sorry, baby.' She said again, kissing the top of his head and then leaning her cheek there. He exhaled heavily and didn't say anything, but he didn't move from where he was. Roxy's grip on him got tighter as Max slammed on the breaks.

'I told you. Zoomer.' Max said confidently. 

'Proud of you, kid.' Roxy said, breathlessly, letting go of Steve to get out of the car with the others. They all rounded up at the back of the car, removing equipment they would need - Roxy and Max followed along with what the boys said because this was literally new territory for them. Roxy dropped things back into the boot when she heard Steve try to get out of the car and she rushed to him. 'Hey, hey, hey. Take it easy.' She said quietly, taking his arm and putting it around her shoulders to stabilise him. 

'Guys... Oh, no. Guys.' He said, trying to get the attention of everyone. Roxy knew that no matter what he said or did, they'd be going down the hole. 'Hey, where are you going. What are you, deaf? Hello!' Steve yelled, and Roxy suppressed a laugh. 'We are not going down there right now. I made myself clear!' Roxy moved to stand in front of him, hoping to reason with him. She made sure his arm still stayed hanging over her shoulder. Putting her arms around his waist, she pushed herself lightly onto him, and he put his other arm around her neck to return the embrace. They had both been angry at each other, but that was subsided by the fact they were just glad they were both alright. Though Steve was hurt, he understood Roxy. He was happy that she hadn't left him to be with her brother; she was with him. It was a few seconds before either of them were snapped back into the reality of what was going on. 

'Steve, look. The bottom line is, a party member requires assistance, and it is our duty to provide that assistance. Now I know you promised that you would keep us safe, so you two, keep us safe.' Dustin explained as the other kids walked down to the hole. He handed gear to Steve and Roxy. Steve took it after shaking his head, his other arm still holding to Roxy's shoulders but not for stability. Roxy followed suit and took hers too.

'For the record, I didn't promise anything...' Roxy said to Dustin as he walked off, and they geared up and entered what seemed to be something completely unattached to their world.