heart-throbs

The next day, Steve snuck downstairs (like a ninja), checking that his parents were in the other room having breakfast. Roxy, waiting impatiently for Steve's signal, crept down the stairs when he waved at her to do so, and stepped out the front door, seeing it shut quietly. After about five seconds, she knocked loudly on the door and smiled when she saw Steve open it with a knowing smile. Mr and Mrs Harrington came wandering into view and politely acknowledged Roxy. "Hi there, Roxanne. Steve told us you might stop by for breakfast, come in." Steve's mother said. Roxy's demeanour changed completely, walking with poise into the house and shaking hands with his parents. Steve had noticed this after she first met them - he was nervous for the more obvious outcome of his parents not approving and Roxy kicking off - but he was shocked to see how she acted. His parents actually liked her. She even introduced herself as Roxanne.

"Long time no see, Harrington." Roxy whispered, kissing him on the cheek as they followed his parents into the other room. He laughed quietly, holding her hand as they went to eat together, Steve drawing entertainment from the thick act Roxy played around his parents.

It wasn't long before Steve had to rush to work, Roxy driving his BMW as they headed to the mall. "Rox, baby, just be careful parking, okay? That one, get that spot, there." Steve rattled on, knowing Roxy was a careless driver. She didn't take it to heart, but his constant nitpicking was driving her a bit mad.

"Steve! Shut up, I can park a car. Jeez." She said out of frustration, swinging the car almost recklessly across the lane in order to park. Steve was silent for a moment, holding on to the door frame and his mouth agape. Within a matter of seconds, Roxy had reversed his car into the parking space without a scratch. "There, you can stop holding your breath. Your girlfriend is fine," Roxy said, patting the wheel. "Me, on the other hand..." Roxy started to joke, but Steve pulled her into a kiss, smiling. No matter what happened, he felt as if he could always be happy remembering the one time she told him she loved him out of the blue.

Breaking apart, he realised he probably should have been at work a couple of minutes ago. "I've really gotta run, I'll see you later." He said, reaching for the door handle.

"What time's your break?" Roxy asked.

"'Round eleven." Steve replied, getting out of the car.

"I'll come by." Roxy said with a wink. Steve winked back at her, walking briskly into Starcourt mall in his uniform. Roxy sat in the driver's seat of her boyfriend's BMW, wondering what to do for the next few hours.

****************************************************************

During his shift, Steve's 'friend' Robin had challenged him to pick up girls, trying to prove he could land a girlfriend of one year. Steve, competitive but loyal, figured he could charm girls and leave it be. Unfortunately, trying to be playfully flirty with some girl going to a university he 'considered', he got slapped in the face by the fact that maybe he didn't have game.

"And another one bites the dust." He heard from behind him, Robin holding up a tally board that showed how useless he seemed to be. "You are 0 for 6, Popeye." She said, tauntingly drawing another line on the 'You Suck' section.

"Yeah, yeah, I can count." He said in defeat. If I can't pick up some lame random girls then what does Roxy Hargrove see in me? He thought.

"That means you suck." Robin said. Steve quickly glanced at a clock that read 10:55am, and he wished the minutes to go by faster.

"Yep, I can read, too." He replied, frustrated.

"Since when?" Robin joked. He rolled his eyes but admitted that Robin was a little bit similar to when he first met Roxy.

"You know what? It's this stupid hat. I am telling you. It is totally blowing my best feature."

"Yeah, company policy is a real drag. You know, it's a crazy idea, but have you considered telling the truth? Or you know, just admitting you don't have a girlfriend?" Robin asked as Steve rolled his eyes again.

"Okay, listen. Just because -" Steve started, but Robin interrupted.

"Shh." Steve saw Robin with her mouth slightly open and eyes slightly wide, looking behind him. As he was about to turn around, she spoke again. "Don't look now, but this is your last chance. You win, and bets are off." She finished, and Steve heard a familiar voice.

"Either of you know how I get served around here?" The voice asked, followed by a ring of the service bell. Steve smiled, thinking about the timing. She's going to snap him like a twig, Robin thought.

"You know what?" He said to Robin, pointing a finger at her. "Screw company policy." He whipped off his hat and tossed it into the backroom before turning around with a smile.

"Oh my god, you're a whole new man." Robin said to him, not expecting a miracle.

"How are you today, miss?" Steve asked, suppressing a laugh.

"Hm. Could be better." Roxy replied with a cheeky grin, and Steve locked eyes with her. She was his biggest weakness.

"Oh yeah? Anything I could do to help?" He asked, not so innocently. Confidently, Roxy strutted around the ice cream bar, flipped up the entrance counter-flap and walked to Steve. Dragging one finger over the countertop, she looked up at him with bedroom eyes. She wasn't going to make this easy for him - this was her strange way of making sure he didn't want anyone else. Without a second thought, he stepped toward her and strongly held his hands at her waist, leaning his head a little lower to kiss her. "Don't know about you but my day just got a whole lot better." He said lowly to her as they broke apart.

Roxy turned to Robin, who looked plainly confused. "You work here too, huh? I'm Steve's girlfriend. Roxy Hargrove." Robin looked at her, clearly still surprised.

"You're the girlfriend?"Robin asked, more to herself. "I've heard about you. I'm Robin."