closed doors

Two weeks had swept by, and of course, Roxy and Billy had had their normal amount of disagreements and laughs about school, friends and cars. Billy found comfort in the fact that whenever Steve and Roxy talked, she seemed incredibly bored. However, much to her annoyance, she was getting used to talking to him often. She would roll her eyes at herself whenever she realised she enjoyed it. Although nothing romantic had happened between them, the tension was so thick that they could choke on it.

'Hey, so Billy and Max are gonna be out, come over and get this stupid assignment done?' Roxy asked, shutting her locker after getting what she needed for the chemistry homework assignment they had received in the last lesson. If she played her cards right, Steve would be asking to do it for her.

'Yeah, sure. Let's do it.' Steve replied, suddenly much, much more nervous than he was a second ago. 'Where's your place?' He asked, walking towards the exit of the hallway with Roxy as she told him her address and said for him to meet her at 5 with a wink, before strutting out the doors and to Billy's car. Steve took a deep breath before he walked through the exit to his car, and made his way home.

***********************************************************************************************

Roxy and Steve sat on the dining table at 5:10pm, trying to get their work done, but Steve constantly got distracted by Roxy, although she was not doing anything to cause this except be in close proximity to him. Suddenly, Roxy's head perked up at the sound of a car coming into the driveway. 'I thought Billy was out?' Steve said, looking at her with a worried laugh. She came to a sudden realisation and threw her workbook over Steve's and grabbed his arm, walking quickly to her bedroom before pushing him inside.

'Steve, you have to stay here. Don't move, don't make noise, do not come out of this room until I come get you.' She said extremely quickly, and left before Steve could process what she had said, she left, leaving the door only slightly ajar to make it seem as though no one was in there. Running to sit down at the bench where she was sitting just before, the door swung open with force.

'Where's Billy and Maxine.' Roxy and Billy's father, Neil, asked (although it was more of a command) and getting something from the kitchen counter behind Roxy.

'Billy's got a date and Max is out with friends. She's fine.' Roxy said angrily, not looking up from her work that she was too distracted to do. She drew figure-eights on her paper, waiting for her father to leave.

'You and that boy better be keeping a bloody good eye on her, I swear it.' He replied, pointing a finger at Roxy as she looked up at Neil. Behind her emotionless mask, she was frightened. She stood up, looking at her father with disgust.

She rolled her eyes at him and scoffed out of anger, knowing that she'd regret it later as soon as she did. Her father took a painful grasp on her wrist and dragged her off the seat. He pushed her up against the wall by her shoulder and leant in close.

'Is that how you show respect, Roxanne? Both you and your deadbeat brother need to learn who's above you.' He said in a low growl. Roxy, repulsed, pushed him back and quickly took a few steps away from him and just waited for him to leave. Unfortunately, he walked towards her, standing about a foot away from her, and she could almost feel the anger seething off of him. He clenched his fists and released them again, then advanced to backhand her cheek with force enough to make her stumble slightly backward and avoid eye contact while looking at the floor, tears threatening to fall. 'Useless piece of ass.' He growled, slamming the door as he left, starting up the car, and peeling out of the driveway. All Roxy could manage to do then was stand there with slumped shoulders and a tear falling down her face. She took some deep breaths, regaining composure.

Soft footsteps slowly approach into the room from behind her, causing her to act on reflex as she quickly straightened herself up, wiping her face dry. 'I told you to wait.' was all she managed to say, not facing Steve.

'Does this normally happen?' Steve asks, making sure to not stand too close to her. Roxy nodded in response, turning to lean against the couch, still not making eye contact.

'Billy usually takes it, but...' Roxy looked up at the ceiling, wishing she was literally anywhere else.

'Look, my parents are off on a business trip or something. You're staying at my place, and I'm not going to argue about this, okay? I'll pack for you if I have to.' Steve said with an empty laugh, all the while being serious and not taking no for an answer. Roxy muttered a simple 'fine', before finally looking at him with eyes full of embarrassment.

Steve pushed his thoughts aside, and finally reached out to her. She slowly wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder. He held her close, as if he had just saved her life, stroking her hair as he could tell she was doing all she could to hold back tears. 

*********************************************

After packing, Steve drove Roxy back to his place, feeling a mixture of relief, confusion and nervousness. They both walked through the door (Roxy holding up more of a front), Steve carrying Roxy's bag as he put it down and shut the door behind him. He watched as Roxy wondered slowly down the corridor, taking in the details of the house. 'Nice place' she said, running her finger along the wall and turning to face Steve. 'Thanks. I owe you.'

'You don't need to thank me. I wish you told me what's been going on, Roxy I'm so sorry.' Steve replied to her, leaning his side against the wall next to them, very slightly leaning towards her.

'Don't say that. Please don't pity me. It's easier just blocking it out so... that's what's done.' Roxy said, avoiding eye contact, crossing her arms and leaning against the wall too.

'You don't need to do that, I'm here for you. And to be honest I could really do with having someone there for me too, so please don't block me out.' Steve said, walking closer to Roxy, filling himself with worry that it may be the last time he would be able to be near her - he was clueless as to whether or not he had gotten through to her. 

Roxy stared at him, waiting for him to break and admit to being dishonest, or do something to hurt her. She studied his body language, and looking into his eyes, she came to realise that he really was being sincere. He knew things about her that no one did, whether she wanted that or not, but at least he was genuine. He wanted to help her. She gave him a laugh of near disbelief and smirked at him. 'What's for dinner?'