brain dead

At the end of the day, Steve drove Roxy back to her house whilst they both complained about how long their days were. Roxy, not having anything else to do, was thinking about doing the exact same thing over and over again the next day. And the day after that.

"If I get bored, maybe I'll pop in tomorrow. I don't know what Billy's up to." Roxy said, a minute away from her place.

"Okay, sure, did you want to look for a job?" Steve asked cautiously, already knowing the answer and slightly dreading her upcoming rant.

"I don't think I'd do well standing around doing things for other people. I tried that and I didn't last very long." She said in a huff. She did get a job around the same time as her brother, working at a bookstore - something her stepmother set up for her. Safe to say it wasn't really Roxy's scene. 

"Well, yeah, because you're not the librarian type, Rox. There's a music store in StarCourt and it looks kinda grungy, maybe you'd like it." Steve said, trying to convince her. He saw a 'Help Wanted' sign and hoped Roxy would give it a chance - he could see her eyes glazing over every day she was that bored.

"Whatever you say, Harrington. I guess I can see what it's like." She said, seeing Steve widen her eyes, surprised she didn't shut it down right off the bat. Roxy shook her head. "I hate you." 

"Love you too." He replied, lightly laughing. As much as he'd never want to change her, he'd try to nudge her in the right direction every now and then. Coming to a stop outside Roxy's house, she gave him a long kiss goodbye and went inside, well aware that Steve was watching her walk away. Walking through the door, Roxy found the place deserted apart from some music coming from her brother's room. Naturally, she figured she'd bother him. Waltzing into his room, she threw herself onto his bed and shut her eyes.

"Oh, come on in, I'm not busy." Billy said sarcastically, continuing to stare at himself in the mirror, pointlessly fixing up a strand of hair. Roxy laughed.

"What are you getting dolled up for?" Roxy asked, noticing the heavy smell of Billy's cologne in the room. 

"You're not gonna like it so I'm not gonna tell you." He said with a smile, knowing that she wouldn't really care but she would pester him about it endlessly.

"Come on. Tell me. Hot date? Or are you gonna drag me out again because I'm the only one who'll hang out with you?" Roxy asked, smirking. Billy scoffed at her but laughed. "I mean, give me a break. The number of times I've set you up with a girl and the next day you want a new one... I'm running in a hamster wheel here." She joked, with a ring of truth. Billy rolled his eyes and gave in.

"Fine. Just don't tell Max." He said, and Roxy narrowed her eyes in suspicion. 

"Okay..." She said warily, preparing herself for worse than the truth.

"I'm meeting Mrs Wheeler. That girl Nancy's mom. At a motel." He told her, tucking his shirt into his jeans.

"Billy Hargrove. Look at you go, you homewrecker." Roxy replied almost proudly, smiling and sitting up on the bed to look at him in the mirror's reflection. Once again, he rolled her eyes and laughed. Taking one final look in the mirror (and moving a strand of hair away from his face only to have it fall right back again), Billy waved his hand telling Roxy to get up before following her out of the room. 

"Shut up. And don't go telling people about this. Not even your boyfriend." Billy said, trusting that Roxy wouldn't tell a soul something her twin brother wanted to keep secret.

"What kind of pillow talk do you think I have? May come as a shock but you're not the topic of every conversation." She said, patting Billy on the arm as they walked to the front door of the house. 

"I don't know if I should be offended or relieved." Billy replied. "I told Susan that Max was with you, so if she's not home soon you'll be copping that." He said, sniggering. He knew that Max wasn't predictable enough for anyone to be sure when she'd be home, just like the rest of the family.

"Whatever.'" Roxy said, knowing she'd have to deal with it. They reached the front door, and Billy walked toward the car. "Have too much fun, Billy. You've found yourself a wife!" She said, pretending to be excited. Billy gave her a two-finger salute as he got in the car. "Someone else's, but I guess she's a wife nonetheless." Roxy spoke to herself, turning back inside and going back to more waiting. 

As much as Roxy didn't like high school, it gave her something to do. Seeing as high school was boring for her (until she came to Hawkins, met Steve, and had an interdimensional battle alongside some children), it was unimaginable how tired she was with everyday life doing nothing. Maybe getting a job would be good for her, something distracting. After what felt like hours of Roxy trying on clothes and listening to music that drummed in her ears, Max came through the front door. 

"Way past your curfew, young lady. You're grounded." Roxy said sarcastically. "I would have had to suffer through another lecture about taking care of you over dinner, but lucky you, you're here to join in." 

Max smiled. "What, Billy tell my mom I was with you again?" Max knew the answer already. "You want to actually do something? We could go to the mall tomorrow." Max offered, and Roxy smiled. 

"Sure, but weren't you just there?" 

"I've spent all day walking up hills and lying on the grass praying for Dustin's fake girlfriend to appear." Max explained, and Roxy just nodded her head in understanding. 

"No such luck, huh?" Roxy rolled her eyes, giggling slightly. "Well, it's not like either of us have anything better to do." She shrugged, sitting at the kitchen bench, hearing her father and stepmother come into the driveway. Things were reasonably better around her house, but she could tell her father was getting tense at the fact that Roxy didn't have a job. As usual, Roxy didn't care too much.

"D'you reckon Steve will get us free ice cream?" Max asked, taking her grass-covered cardigan off and throwing it into her bedroom.

"Obviously." Roxy smirked, but put on a straight face when she heard the front door swing open.