hot mess

After what felt like an entire day, they finally made it to an open space surrounded by junkyard vehicles. 

'Okay?' Roxy started, completely unsure of whatever the plan of action was. She walked forward but stopped when the boys weren't going anywhere. Raising her arms at them as if asking them what they're doing, Steve finally spoke.

'Oh yeah. Yeah, this'll do.' He said, taking off his sunglasses and walking forward. 'This'll do just fine. Good call, dude.' Dustin smiled proudly up at Steve, and Roxy decided to just stand where she was and wait until someone explained what was about to happen. She groaned in frustration when the boys kept walking further away, causing her to follow them. They dumped the buckets out in the centre of the field, Roxy standing far enough away.

'I SAID MEDIUM WELL!' Came a yelling from across the grass - one of Dustin's friends, no doubt, and -

'Max?' Roxy called out, puzzled but grateful she had someone that surely didn't believe in these fiction-type games.

'Who's that?' Steve asked, only loud enough for Roxy and Dustin to hear. 

'My step-sister.' Roxy answered, walking away from the distant look on Dustin's face and toward Max. 

***********************************

Roxy lay down on the bonnet of a car, watching from the sidelines as Steve and Max moved sheets of metal and tyres around. 'This is too far.' She said to herself, directing her attention up to the sky, adjusting Steve's sunglasses (that she stole, again) on her face. 'Should've got drunk when I had the chance.' She heard Steve tell off the two younger boys and ordered them to go help. She was expecting him to turn around and give her something to do as well, but he didn't. Steve looked around the field for her, unable to stop himself from getting a little worried until he spotted her lying atop one of the scrap cars. She lay calmly on her back, not a care in the world. He watched as her chest rose with each breath and as she fiddled with the waist of her jeans. He decided to turn around and leave her (and his thoughts) alone. 

About half an hour later, Steve filed into the bus with all the kids - Max called out for Roxy to join them, and to Roxy's dismay, she followed. All the kids sat spread out on different seats of the bus, Lucas climbing up and down the ladder that lead to the roof of the bus. Roxy walked down the aisle and sat down across from Steve, leaning onto the back of a seat and touching her leg to Steves. His eyes connected with hers before she pulled down the sunglasses that were resting on her head to cover her eyes. 'It's like, pitch black. Why are you wearing those?' Steve asked, laughing lightly at her.

'Because the eyes are the windows to the soul.' Roxy replied, and Steve looked down and began clicking his lighter on and off. 

'So you've really fought one of these before?' Max asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence with a quiet voice. Steve responded with a slow nod, and Roxy noticed he seemed less peppy than usual. She took off the sunglasses and passed them to him. He took them with a small smile. 'And you're, like, totally, 100% sure it wasn't a bear?' Max asked, earning a quick bout of laughter from Roxy. 

'Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear.' Dustin snapped, causing everyone to look at him with surprise and judgement. Roxy's face twisted into a bit of disgust. 'Why are you even here if you don't believe us?' 

'Because we're bored.' Roxy said, quieter than usual, looking at the ground.

'You look bored.' Max added in the same tone as Roxy.

'I am bored.' Roxy said, a little louder.

'Just go home.' Dustin said defeatedly. 

'Geesh. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?' Max asked sarcastically, clearly frustrated. She smiled when she heard Roxy laugh at her statement as Max climbed the ladder to be with Lucas.

'That's good. Just show her you don't care.' Steve said lazily, and Roxy nudged his leg with hers, rolling her eyes but smiling at him.

'I don't.' Dustin said quietly - he was sad, which only made Roxy let out a breath of laughter. Why are people so pathetic? She thought. 'Why are you winking, Steve? Stop.' Dustin added. Roxy sighed, she didn't have any idea what she was doing on some random witch hunt with kids she barely knew, her step-sister, and Steve Harrington. She studied him playing with his lighter again as she readjusted the guns on her sides that were dug into her belt. She tucked in her shirt a little tighter and was about to get up to go outside when they heard a demon-like growl. Steve quickly got up and peered out the grated window' as Roxy darted beside him putting a hand on his shoulder. 'You see him?' Dustin asked in almost a whisper.

'No.' Steve replied still looking into the fog outside.

'Uh, what are we looking for?' Roxy asked, searching the view for any sign of movement.

'You'll know it when you see it.' Steve answered, nervously. She's either going to sit this out and get bored, or she's going to want part of the action. Steve thought. Looking in the direction Lucas shouted, Steve pointed to what Roxy saw to be just fog and nothingness. 'There.' She turned her head to look at him, but quickly looked elsewhere when she saw fear in his eyes. She didn't know how to deal with that for other people - whenever she felt scared she would channel it into anger and face whatever she feared. 'He's not taking the bait. Why is he not taking the bait?' Steve asked hurriedly, and Roxy, for the first time today, started to get a little excited. 

'Maybe he's not hungry?' Dustin offered a simple answer. Roxy saw Steve's eyes grow darker.

'Maybe he's sick of cow.' Steve said, monotone, and Roxy smiled. She started to back away when Steve did, he stood for a minute until he picked up his bat and walked toward the bus door. 

'Steve? Steve, what are you doing?' Dustin asked in a panic.

'Just get ready.' Steve said, determination in his eyes. He threw the lighter to Roxy, who caught it and threw it to Dustin. Steve turned and was about to open the door, when a hand was placed on his chest. He locked eyes with Roxy - he didn't see fear or worry, he saw devilry partnered with a wicked smile. If looks could kill. He thought.

'My turn.' She said, and shoved him back onto the drivers seat. She swung the door open and walked out confidently. There was something about Roxy, she had little care for her place in life - she saw that she didn't have one - she could always summon her anger and she didn't fear death. She was more than ready to kill or be killed. 

After getting halfway into the fog, she slowed down to a stop, looking around her with guns raised. 'Here, kitty.' She sang, getting a little impatient.