revealing

Pulling into their driveway, it was early enough for the sun to be still rising. Just adore getting out of the house at the ass-crack of dawn, Roxy thought. She noticed no cars near. Roxy got out of the car and took Billy's leather jacket with her, hoping he was inside and conscious. Pushing open the unlocked door, Billy wasn't lying on the floor; she took a few steps inside and whipped her head around, finally seeing him passed out on the couch, obviously exhausted and asleep. She walked slowly around the living and dining area as quietly as she could in her boots, taking in the damage they'd done to the house. She picked up a chair and turned it, sitting on it reversely, lying her arms and chin on the backrest and facing Billy. Shutting her eyes, she almost fell asleep again herself but heard Billy groan and rub his eyes. She snapped her head up. 'He's awake!' She announced, sarcastically. 'I guess you had a pretty uninterrupted nights sleep?' She asked, lifting her chin from her arms and leaning forward more in the chair, her upper arms hanging over the backrest.

'Mmm. Where do I get more of that drug?' He asked jokingly, clearly still tired. 'Did you go home?' He moved to a sitting position, legs outstretched and his head upturned, looking at the ceiling.

'Not yet. It's been a long night full of real-life sci-fi movie bullshit.' She said nonchalantly, getting up to sit next to him on the couch, throwing his leather jacket onto his lap as she did. 'Your car was taken for a spin. I'll fix it.' She said.

'What?' He said in surprise, standing up to look out the window. Any damage wasn't as bad as he expected. 'Whatever. Glad you're okay, Rox.' Billy said genuinely, putting an arm around her as she leaned on his side.

'You too. Sorry for letting the psycho on you.' Roxy said, referring to her alter-ego that came out when her emotions ran incredibly high.

'Hah. Sorry for giving her a chance to say hi.' Billy said with a light laugh, leaning his head on Roxy's. They sat in silence for a while, before deciding to make the trip back home.

'Not what you were wearing last night, Rox.' Billy mentioned, a suggestive tone in his voice. He hid his disapproval toward who he figured she'd spent the night with.

'Oh, shut up. And take a deep breath.' She said, aiming to calm him down while not looking over at him from the driver's seat. Music played in the background, lower volume than usual.

'Hey, I'm cool. It's cool.' He said, shutting his eyes again.

'I swear to god Billy, if you fall asleep I'm gonna fall asleep.' She said, slapping him lightly on the arm.

'Fine. As long as you don't tell me what you were doing last night instead of sleeping.' Billy said, turning the music up.

*******************************

After getting back home and getting nothing but silence from their father (which they were more than happy with), Roxy got another two hours of sleep, recuperating from everything that felt like a surreal dream when she looked back on it. Waking up and putting on a normal outfit, she decided to go back to Steve's. Saying goodbye to Max and Billy, she took his car and drove off. Rolling into Steve's driveway, he heard the blasting rock music from the kitchen. He was half worried it was Billy, so he didn't move from where he was. Waking up that morning and calling her name, he was more than disappointed to realise Roxy had left. He didn't know what it all meant and he didn't want to think about it, so he spent the morning trying to distract himself. 

'You there, Harrington?' Roxy called through the front door after knocking. Steve let out a breath he didn't realise he was holding and went to open the door, seeing Roxy who kissed his cheek and entered the house as if it were her own. 'When did you wake up?' She asked, continuing to walk through the house to the kitchen, getting herself a glass of water.

'A few hours ago, why did you go?' He asked, following her and watching her as she moved casually around the kitchen, familiar with it.

Roxy sighed, conflicted between the two boys and wishing they'd get along. 'I went to take Billy home. Make sure he was okay, you know?' Her heart wrenched when she spoke - Roxy realised what it sounded like. Leaving Steve to go take care of the guy who tried to kill him. Elbows on the kitchen island, she held her face in her hands and took a breath. 'Sorry. I'm used to thinking that he's all I have.' She said, trying to make Steve understand where she was coming from.

'I get it. But he's not the only one who cares about you, you've got me.' He said, watching her. She looked at him and casually wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him slowly as he locked his arms around her waist. Breaking the kiss, she looked into his eyes. She felt the bruises and healing cuts on his face incredibly lightly with her thumb, moving to trace his bottom lip. She kissed him again, before resting her head on his shoulder.

'I'm glad you're okay. You've got me too, Harrington.' She said, and he planted a kiss on her bare shoulder. Finally, after all the moments they'd spent together (the ones where she'd toyed him around and the ones where she'd saved his life), he felt secure in the fact that she wouldn't let him go.