frostbite

Okay so I was in hospital with exhaustion because I overwork myself, had to get a new laptop because my new one broke, sat my uni finals, got promoted, so it's been a really wild ride recently. These last chapters are going to be double the usual length so I can get this book done in fewer chapters because for some reason that feels more appealing to me :)

                              ____________________________________________

They all burst out the front door, searching for an indicator of where their enemy could be hiding, lurking in the shadows ready to catch them all off their guard. Walking with such speed they may as well have been jogging, they reached the road giving them a clear view path of the fireworks going on ahead at the Fourth of July festival. 

Roxy's eyes travelled from the fireworks to the rustling tops of the trees, to the ground, where she saw the biggest crab-spider-like flesh monster she'd ever dream of, ripping apart the forest they were standing in. 'Oh my- shit. She hissed, louder than warranted. Despite feeling lucky she remembered to bring her trusty revolver guns from last year, she didn't think they could beat it this time. 

**************************************************************

'Wo-hoa. Jesus. Slow down.' Steve slurred, in the back of a tiny motorised cart the Dustin used as their getaway car. 

'Yeah, what is this? Like, the Indy 500?' Robin tried to crack a joke, slurring as well. Her eyes were barely open. 

'It's the Indy 300.' Steve corrected her, and they argued about it for a few seconds before bursting out laughing, falling to the floor of the cart. The alarm remained consistent in the background, reminding Dustin and Erica of how much danger they were in despite Steve and Robin having a joy time. 

'What is wrong with them?' Erica asked Dustin, baffled. She was not happy with their immaturity and thought they were acting plain stupid. 

'I don't know.' Dustin answered her. He was about to say more, but-

'Dustin, watch out!' Erica screamed, and Dustin cursed before slamming the little red cart into some barrels, causing them all to lurch forward painfully. 

'You guys alright back there?' He checked on Steve and Robin, who were groaning in pain. 'They're fine.' He and Erica stepped out of the cart, in a hurry to escape before they got caught, again. They yanked Steve and Robin out of the cart despite their complaints and threw them into the elevator before flipping the up switch. 

It seemed as though Steve and Robin were standing around one second, and after Dustin blinked, they were cheering giddily and playing around like children. 

'Hey! You look like you're surfing!' 

'Surfing! Yeah!' Steve laughed, trying to balance on the board Robin was moving under his feet. 

'They seem drunk.' Erica pointed out to Dustin. They did indeed.

'Why would they be drunk?' Dustin wondered, clueless as to what the hell happened to them. 

'Hey! I'm a natural! Check it out!' Steve called, whooping. Until Robin tugged on the board and he flew off, into some boxes. After all the injuries he'd taken quite recently, the drugs must have been incredibly heavy to dull the pain he'd otherwise have felt. 

'Wipeout!' Robin laughed, pointing at Steve, who laughed back. Dustin put a hand to Steve's forehead, trying to find out what the Russians did to them to make them act so recklessly. 

'He's burning up.' 

'You're burning up.' Steve tossed back. 

'One sec, one sec. Steve, stop. Steve.' Dustin tried his best to stop Steve from fussing as he forced his left eye open, looking for any side effects.