unite

'The ceiling stopped spinning for me. Is it still spinning for you?' Robin asked Steve, lying on her back in the stall. 

He lifted his head up with great effort. 'Holy shit. No. You think we puked it all up?' 

'Maybe. Ask me something. Interrogate me.' Robin said, in a jesting manner. 

'Interrogate you. Okay.' Steve laughed lightly. His head was still coming to terms with what had just happened, and what could happen next. 'Um... when was the last time you peed your pants?' 

'Today.' Robin confessed. 'When the Russian doctor took out the bone saw.' Steve laughed. 'It was just a little bit, though.' Robin told him, still a little loopy. 'Okay, my turn. Have you... how many times have you been in love?' 

Steve was silent for a moment, taking a breath, reminded of Roxy. 'Twice, I think. Nancy Wheeler, first semester, senior year. And then we broke up, and Rox came along and made that all look like child's play.' He chuckled. 

'She's the real deal for you, huh?' Robin asked, smiling, though Steve couldn't see. 

'Yeah. She's it for me, you know? We're young and whatever, but it feels like there's no one else after Roxy damn Hargrove.' Steve said, sighing. If only he knew where she was. 'What about you?'

'I don't know.' There was a long, uncomfortable pause, in which Steve felt as if he'd asked something wrong, or had touched a nerve. 

'Robin?' He knocked on the stall. 'Did you just O.D in there?'

'No.' She answered, face between her knees. 'I just don't know... you know if you tell someone something and it's so weird that they won't want to know you anymore?' Robin's voice was shaky. Steve slid underneath the separating wall of the stalls, and looked her in the eyes, although one of his could barely open. 

'That's not true. No way is that true. You can tell me. Or not, you don't have to.' Steve reassured her, and although he was curious what she referred to, he wasn't going to push it. 

'Look, Steve. It's shocked me to my core, but I like you. I really like you. But I'm not like your other friends. I'm not like Nancy, and I'm not like Roxy.' She told him, taking a breath. She wanted to tell him but just didn't know how. 

'I know, that's why we're friends. You don't have to be like them.' 

'Do you remember what I said about Click's class, and about being like, jealous and obsessed?' Robin asked, and Steve nodded after thinking for a second. 'It isn't because I had a crush on you. It's because... she wouldn't stop staring at you.'

'Mrs Click?' Steve was lost. Robin scoffed at him. 

'Tammy Thompson. I wanted her to look at me.' Robin told him. He still didn't pick up on what she was saying. 'But... she couldn't pull her eyes away from you and your stupid hair. And I didn't understand, because you would get bagel crumbs all over the floor. And you asked dumb questions. And you were a douchebag. And- And you didn't even like her and... I would go home and just scream into my pillow.' 

'But... Tammy Thompson's a girl.' 

'Steve...' Robin didn't know what else to say. 

'Oh.' He finally realised what she was telling him. 'Holy shit.' 

Silence passed over them like a cloud, something Robin was dreading. 'Steve? You OD over there?' She tried to lighten the mood with a joke, soon regretting saying anything at all. 

'No, I just- just thinking.' He laughed lightly. He may have been surprised, but he felt more than happy that she trusted him with this. 'I mean, yeah. Tammy Thompson's cute and all, but, I mean, she'd a total dud.'