exploring

After another night at Steve's, Roxy was with the boys who were loading gasoline and buckets full of god knows what as she waited in the driver's seat of Steve's car with her feet crossed over the wheel. She played with the safety of the two guns she held in her hands, bored out of her mind and with growing disinterest for what she was getting herself into. Oh well, she thought, better than doing nothing at all. She faintly heard Dustin talking to one of his friends on his radio, who was apparently shocked that she and Steve were there too. She agreed with how out of place she was.

Moments later, they were walking along some seemingly abandoned train tracks, Roxy in front as she didn't want to be near the boys and the bait they were using. 'Alright, so let me get this straight,' Steve started, breaking the silence. 'You kept something you knew would be dangerous in order to impress a girl... who you'd just met?' He asked Dustin, frustratedly. 

'Alright, that's grossly oversimplifying things.' Dustin replied. My eyes are going to get stuck to the back of my head. Roxy thought after rolling her eyes, again. They kept talking, and when Roxy heard 'inter-dimensional slug', she vowed to tune out of this ridiculous conversation. She would've walked off, but she didn't really know where they were. 

'The key to girls is- just acting like you don't care.' Roxy heard Steve say, and she turned around, walking backwards, and giggled. 

'Well, you're terrible at doing that' She said to him, winking, and turning back around. She basked in the silence for a few seconds, smiling to herself until Dustin continued their conversation. Steve, listening and talking to Dustin, had his eyes on Roxy the entire time they walked. He felt like a lucky idiot who couldn't even follow his own advice. Who was he kidding? He wasn't King Steve anymore - he was just some guy she danced with. Roxy's impulsive, does what she wants when she wants, and doesn't care for consequences, so why hadn't she made a move? She would have if she wanted to. He thought. Steve wanted to hate her - she acted as if she could crush him like a bug (she definitely could), but he didn't hate her at all. He didn't know how to. 

'Like a... like a sexual electricity.' Steve said, looking at Dustin for a split second before diverting his attention back to Roxy who had turned back around, walking slower to fall into step next to Steve.

'Now you're talkin, Harrington.' Roxy said with a smirk. She looked into his eyes, but before she allowed herself to get lost in them, she snapped her head away to stare off toward the train tracks they were yet to cover. He studied her face, her body, the way she walked, before Dustin interrupted, signalling Steve to keep talking. 

'You feel that, and then you make your move.' He said, realising that what he'd said was exactly the opposite of what he'd done. 

'Sure you do.' Roxy scoffed, with a laugh, nudging Steve with her elbow harder than she planned. A ping of regret hitting him in the heart - he reflected on last night.

***********************************************************************************************

                   Steve and Roxy sat on the long couch in his living room, as she intently listened to him recap the horrifying events he'd experienced. He didn't tell them in detail - he couldn't bring himself to do that - which was lucky, because Roxy wouldn't know how to console someone without making a joke about it. He finished explaining what he and these kids did and searched for something other than bewilderment in her eyes. She shut her eyes for a long time, processing the information, and took a deep breath with her eyes still furrowed. The silence lasted forever. 

'I'll try to believe your sci-fi reprise, but it sounds stupid. Like something you'd watch, not be involved in.' She said, passing her judgement. She was still incredibly confused about what in hell had surfaced.