(she's) descending

Peering through the window, as unsubtly as they could possibly be, Steve and Dustin recognised the gate to the Upside-Down being pried open by some wickedly advanced technology. Hearts racing, they looked at each other, not at all knowing what they, against an army of Russians, could do. 

'I don't understand. You've seen this before?' Robin asked quickly as they rushed down the stairs. 

'Not exactly.' Steve answered. He was still processing what could be going on up that big elevator in the real world, and how much danger they and Roxy were in. Steve convinced himself to not worry too much, comforted by the fact he figured she had Billy taking care of her. 

'Then what, exactly?' Robin snapped back. 

'All you need to know is it's bad.' Dustin told her. They didn't have the time to hash out the details of the past two years over tea. Steve agreed with him. 'It's like, end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad.' 

'And you know about this, how?' Robin desperately wanted to know if and how these two could've been wrapped up in an end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad situation. 

'Um... Steve? Where's your Russian friend?' Erica piped up, with attitude as always. Soon enough, the alarm started blaring. Steve rushed to the window, seeing flashing red lights and hearing Russian conversation. Before he could react, a horde of Russian soldiers snapped their heads up and saw him. 

Slamming the door, which he knew wouldn't help them too much, Steve tried his best not to go into a panic. 'Shit.' He cursed. 'Go go go!' 

They ran aimlessly, not knowing how they were going to get out or how far away they could make it. Through the doors, face to face with Russian scientists, along the railing, wherever they could go in an attempt to make it away from their chasers. 

Pushing onto the door as hard as they possibly could, Steve and Robin knew it wasn't going to be long before they had to give in. 

'Come on! Now!' Dustin yelled at them. Erica had dropped down into a trapdoor, and before Dustin could follow, he hesitated. 

'What are you doing? Just go get some help, okay?' Steve yelled, keeping his voice steady despite being nearly thrown from the door. 

Dustin paused and then moved toward the trapdoor. 'I'll tell her! And I won't forget you!' He screamed. After Robin and Steve had yelled for him to go once more, he did as he was told and shut the trapdoor behind him. 

**********************************************************

'He's here.' Will said, shivering. They huddled together. Roxy wasn't sure what to do, how to protect this many people, or if Nancy and Jonathan were alright. 

A piercing shriek carried toward them. Roxy cussed under her breath and figured anything would be better than standing around. Walking straight past the receptionist that called out 'Two at a time!' after them. Smashing in and damaging the elevator button, Roxy gave up and ran a hand over her face. She held her stoic expression, not allowing her stress to show. 

'Stairs.' Mike told them. They sprinted away from the elevator and into the stairwell. Roxy spotted an emergency axe encased in glass. Ushering the kids in ahead of her, she barely took a second to come to the conclusion that her arm probably couldn't get any worse. Forming a tight fist, she smashed the glass, earning another cut on the face near her eye. Ripping the axe free, Roxy sprinted up the stairs taking them two at a time and catching up with Max. They all made sure to keep their senses in overdrive, trying to hear anything out of the ordinary. Hearing screaming on whatever floor they'd reached after climbing stairs quicker than ever before, they raced through the fire escape door and saw Jonathan trying to smash the window of a room. 

El, ahead of the pack, blasted the door open. Roxy slipped past a clearly injured Jonathan, behind El, axe raised. Nancy lay on the floor, shaking with fear. Roxy was nearly put in shock by what she saw, snapped out of it when she felt the force of it's shriek hitting her face. 

'Jesus!' Mike exclaimed. Roxy was uncomfortable knowing they were all seeing this for the first time. 

'What the f-' Max cussed as the monster roared at them. El jumped into action before Roxy could, slamming it against the wall as if it weighed nothing. As she tossed it telepathically against the opposite wall, Roxy jogged over to Nancy, holding the axe with her good arm before switching it to the hand dripping with her own blood, again. 

'Hey.' Roxy whispered. Nancy's eyes were bulging out of her head with fear and she seemed paralysed. Roxy hooked an arm around her waist and managed to help her stand. Before they could make their way to the group on the other side of the door, El crashed the monster onto the floor in front of them. It didn't get another chance to attack, because it was thrown out the window barely a second later. 

'Nancy!' Jonathan breathed, sprinting toward the girls. Roxy rubbed Nancy's back comfortingly before leaving them and following the kids as fast as she could, ignoring the pain coming from every part of her body. 

They made it into the fresh air, panting and shaking with both shock and uncertainty.  As they saw it squelching into one form, Roxy put her injured arm out and stood in front of Nancy and Jonathan. Cautiously, she stepped forward, and stopped short as she saw it disappearing into the drain. Dropping the metal head of the axe onto the ground, she used it as you would a walking stick for support when she slumped over, barely staying conscious.