the end

After a month (altogether it was less eventful than that one night), Roxy was lying on her bed looking up at the ceiling, talking to Billy who was sitting in the chair opposite her as she waited for Max to get ready for her dance. This was the thing about Roxy and Billy, they didn't believe in any unnecessary emotional spillage; they'd have it out and call it done. Maybe it was unhealthy, maybe it wasn't, but it was the way they were and they were fine with it. They hadn't talked further about that night, and they hadn't talked about Steve yet. 'You know, you haven't asked me where I've been going out.' Roxy started, hoping some of Billy's loathing toward Steve had thawed.

'I know. The first boyfriend you get, and it's him?' Billy asked, more in resignation than anger, throwing Steve's shirt (that hung over the back of the chair) at Roxy. 'You sure know how to pick 'em.'

'All the guys I've... danced with, you let them have it. But the one you almost killed just had to be the one I actually liked?' Roxy asked sarcastically, throwing the point back to Billy. 'He's the only one who's given you a run for your money, right?' She asked again, knowing the answer. Any guy Roxy had previously lead on, Billy would scare him off when she was bored - none had actually fought back.

'Yeah, sure, whatever. You actually like him, huh?' Billy asked, not feeling empathy but at least he was trying to understand. He lit a cigarette.

Roxy sighed. 'Yep. Turns out that shit really does happen.' She said. Roxy would forever be surprised that she actually had feelings for someone.

'Apparently for you. But I'm not letting you go soft.' He said, lifting an eyebrow at her. Sure, he didn't like Steve for his own protective reasons, but he mostly just didn't want to lose Roxy.

'Jesus, no. I hate those sappy people.' Roxy laughed, standing up off the bed to borrow the cigarette from Billy. Max walked into the room, her makeup and hair done nicer than usual. 'Glammed up for your first dance!' Roxy said, instinctively backhanding Billy in the shoulder before he could say anything about Lucas. Max smiled at her, a bit embarrassed. 'Come on, Billy's driving.' Roxy said, retying the shirt around her upper waist and spraying on perfume.

'I'm what?' Billy asked in surprise, leaning further back into the chair.

'Driving us. Looks like we all have dates tonight.' Roxy said intriguingly, winking at Billy. He looked at her with a questioning look, wanting her to just tell him what she was implying.

'I'm meeting Steve, and I got you a girl.' She said, pointing at Billy. 'Move it, Casanova.'

*****************************************************

They drove to the school, loud music heard for miles from the car. They all recognised that it felt weird arriving there at night and as usual, they didn't speak much. Pulling up in front of the school, Roxy got out of the car and let out Max before she walked off to join the dance. Roxy leaned forward to talk to Billy through the open window. 'Here's her address. Take a detour, you'll be early.' She said, handing Billy a folded piece of paper with an address on it - some girl had given it to Roxy in hope of landing her brother. Roxy turned her head to see Steve's car pulling up, facing them. 'By the way, he's not my boyfriend. Yet.' She said, with a mischievous smile, then turned back to Billy. 'Play nice.'

Billy rolled his eyes at her. 'Fat chance.' He said, earning a glare from Roxy before she gave him a salute and walked toward Steve's car.

She saw Dustin step out and take a few nervous steps toward the school. 'Lookin' sharp, kid!' She called after him, and he gave her a big smile before she got into the car. 'Hi.' Roxy said in a sultry tone, putting a hand on Steve's thigh.

'Hey.' He said back, about to lean in to kiss her when Billy pulled up next to them. They all looked at each other. Billy opened his mouth to say something, but resisted provoking her and closed it again when he saw Roxy's stare. He rolled his eyes at what he was about to do. Without words, he stuck his arm out the window, hand outstretched toward Steve. After hesitating for a few seconds, Roxy nudged Steve, who then did the same. Roxy gave a nod of appreciation to her brother, who nodded back. After breaking the handshake, Billy drove off. 'Billy Hargrove just shook my hand.' He said, perplexed, to Roxy. She took his face in her right hand and kissed him. He kissed her back, and it made them both feel as though they were safe - not only from paranormal animals but they were safe from being lonely.

*****************************************

They had driven to a lookout that had a view of lights scattered among the trees. Sitting atop the bonnet, Steve talked a bit about his parents and Roxy talked a bit about California. It was silent for a few seconds. A comfortable silence, where Roxy laid down to look up at the stars. She found herself staring up at Steve. She gently tugged at his arm, and he laid down next to her, his arm around her waist. Kissing him quickly, she traced a finger down his chest. 'Be my boyfriend?' She commanded, but it came out as more of a question. He looked at her, surprised. He didn't think she'd leave him stranded but he didn't expect to hear this.

'What?' He whispered, breathless. He moved her hair to lie behind her neck.

'You don't want to?' She asked faintly, still smiling. She wasn't worried about what his answer would be.

'I do.' He responded quickly, pulling her to him and kissing her. She kissed him back, tangling her hand in his hair.

'I know.' She said, before rolling herself to be hovering over him, connecting their lips again. He laughed lightly at her ego. Throughout every side she'd shown him, she hadn't really changed a bit.

A/N

Thank you all for reading - I started this about a year ago and only just picked it back up again now. I'd love to see any comments!! I kind of modelled Roxy after myself a bit, I wanted to have a powerful female character that in a way embodies Billy's attitude but also breaks that a bit to show emotion for those she cares about. I wanted her to grow throughout the story but I didn't want her to change, and I like to think that's what happened. I hope you enjoyed reading, and thank you so much for getting to the end of this story!!

(the end of season two, at least)