6

JANUARY

I looked at myself in the mirror wondering if my choice of clothes was too much or too little. It was a simple look, high waisted mom jeans with a striped crop top and a black belt to accentuate my waist. I threw a black cardigan over my shoulders because I knew it'd get colder once the sun went down. Most of my clothes were still in boxes around me because I hadn't unpacked my new apartment yet. It's been a few weeks, but I've also been lazy. 

The paperwork sitting on the counter reminds me that I still haven't heard back from any of the gyms I applied to. Over the break, I decided to get my physical trainers certification instead of going back to school, but none of the gyms around here seem to be hiring any. 

My phone vibrates in my back pocket, so I pull it out to check it.

from: Bryan

on my way, meet u there?

To: Bryan

yea, leaving the house now. see u soon

The January air hits my skin, and I shiver, maybe I should've worn a long sleeve shirt and a cardigan. Too late to turn back now, I'm sure the bar we're going to has heat anyway. It was Bryan's last weekend in town before he returned back to school, and as promised, he texted me a few days ago. He was meeting some friends later so I suggested we could hang out there until then so he wouldn't have to go to two different places.

I didn't mind, I was actually kind of curious to see what he'd been up to. It's been a little over a year since we split, but he used to be my best friend.

I'm thankful this place has a small parking lot, so I don't have to go through the hassle of parallel parking on the street. I hurry to the door because a man decided to wait for me and hold it open.

Once I step inside, I look around the familiar place. I had only been here a few times, it was one of the best places to go for nachos. It wasn't long before I spotted Bryan at a little table for two a little off center in the room. He smiled and raised his hand in a wave.

Bryan stands as I get to the table to pull me into a hug, it felt so natural. I feel silly for thinking this was going to be awkward. "It's so good to see you, how have you been?"

The words come out of my mouth, and it feels like autopilot because that's what I've trained myself to do the last few months. I shake my head at myself, this is Bryan, and there's no need to be that way towards him.

"Good, I got all A's for my first semester of college, so that's always a plus. What about you, how's school?"

I sit down and pull my cardigan tighter around my torso. "Good, I was supposed to go to the community college here, but I ended up switching into all online classes. I was basically a nanny for my little brother because my mom decided to go back to work. I moved out and have my own place now. That part is still really new."

"You moved out? Seems like a big change for you." He chuckles and reaches for his drink, I realize he's gotten me one too. Bryan was notorious for his fake ID making skills, so I'm not surprised.

"Yeah, pretty big. Some things happened, and one thing led to another. My mother and I aren't really on speaking terms." I shrug and reach for my drink too, finding it stronger than I would like.

"I'm sorry, Teagan. I know that your family is important. Do you ever talk to Lucas?"

Bryan has always been interested in my family. He's the youngest of five brothers, so having little siblings is different and exciting to him. We used to joke all the time that he could have Lucas cause I certainly do not like him.