7

january pt 2

From: Luke
Can we go to lunch? You pick, I'll pay. I need to show you something.

I'm still in bed, it's 10:30am, later than I usually get up. I've been enjoying my time not being a mom to my little brother, but it's still a little weird to not be at home with them. Last I talked to my mother, she only called to make sure I was able to get all of my boxes in here by myself.

To: Luke
Just us? There's a deli near the bar we were at last night, it's pretty good.

From: Luke
Just us. Calum is in no shape to go anywhere in public. Ash & Michael are hungover.

To: Luke
Wym? Is he okay?

I hated myself for even asking, he was so angry when he saw me last night. There's no way he'd ask about me if he were in my situation.

From: Luke

I'll explain when I get there. I'll leave here in 30 minutes or so.

I text back a quick "okay" and pull myself out of bed to get ready.

For time's sake, I add some dry shampoo to my hair and put it up in a high ponytail. It doesn't look like jeans are going to happen today, so I find some leggings and slip on a hoodie, although I'd probably still get cold. At the last second, I add a jacket over my hoodie.

By the time I have my shoes on and search for my keys I get a text that Luke is there already. Great, it only adds to my nerves.

When I enter the small deli I see Luke sitting at a booth by the window, the sun shining directly on him. I smile and make my way over, hugging him when he stands to greet me.

"Sorry I made you wait, couldn't find my keys. I'm still unpacking and such. Should we order first?" I slide into the side opposite of him.

"I already did, I got us both the sandwich and soup combo. Is that okay with you? What are you unpacking?" Luke smiles but then immediately looks like he's worried that I don't like what he ordered me.

"Yeah that's perfect, I usually order that here. I moved out of my house, I have my own place. Instead of continuing with online classes, I got my certification to be a physical trainer. I'm just waiting on some places to reply."

"Wow, that seems like it suits you. I'm sure you'll get a reply soon. You'll do great. If you don't get a job, we could always use a trainer on tour." He laughs, and I give a small nod.

I pick at my nails while I wait for him to say something else.

"I know it's probably awkward for you to be here, but Calum isn't the only one who misses you. We all wish we had kept in touch." His fingers lightly tap on the table, and I nod.

"I could've done a better job too, I've missed you guys a lot. After the video, the whole fandom hated me for leaving Calum like that, so I figured you guys did too." My voice is quiet, but I know he heard me.

"Never. We were all rooting for you guys, and honestly, we still are. He should've told you how he felt sooner or at least not left you at home like that. We all tried to talk him out of it, but when he wouldn't budge, Ashton took matters into his own hands."

"Well I think all hopes for us are gone, you should've seen the look on his face when he realized who I was last night. It was pure anger, I swear. He lied and said you guys were on your way out when clearly he had just walked in the door. I have mostly accepted the fact that things aren't going to be fixed but then you guys show up again, and it makes my head spin." I shake my head and twirl my fingers between my hair.