Chapter 4 - The start of a new friendship

Dean (POV)

I had to admit, being Castiel's friend did have its perks. His brothers and sisters were awesome, his house was amazing and Cas himself was pretty adorable. However I wasn't sure I even wanted to be friends with him. I had a good reputation going on in this new school and I wasn't sure I was ready to just give that up. That is when my fathers words hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Why don't you try and make a new set of friends for once" he had said, or something along them lines. I don't know because to be quite honest I wasn't really listening at the time. I sighed and rubbed my eyes tiredly. I was sat on the sofa in my living room waiting for 12 o'clock to come so I could drive to work at Bobby's mechanics.

"Dean, you should get to work." My dad said walking into the living room and putting down his bag of deer hunting guns.

"Yeah so should you. Oh wait you don't have a job." I said and instantly regretted it. I looked up and saw the hurt look on dad's face. It was hard for him to get a job nowadays because of his horrific past with drinking after mum died. He used to verbally and physically abuse me and Sam but that was all in the past now, the same with his drinking problems. "I'm sorry pops, I didn't mean that."

"It's fine Dean, I know you're finding it hard to trust me again but I promise that I will never hurt your or Sam again. Besides- I think I have found a job." I looked up surprised and he chuckled lightly. "Don't look so shocked boy, your old man isn't totally useless! Especially when it comes to guns."

"What's the job?" I asked curiously

"Erm, let's not talk about that right now." Dad coughed avoiding my gaze slightly.

"What's the job?" I repeated more firmly this time.

"Look Dean, I don't want you to worry ok. But the job is with.. The mafia?" It was more of a question and I looked at him with horror

"HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET A JOB WITH THE MAFIA?!" I screamed.

"Dean Winchester! Calm down! Look you know we have been having money problems so I've been taking up odd jobs here and there and one thing led to another and now... Well I've been offered a job at tracking down the runners of the mafia."

"I can't believe this! I can't believe you! Do you know how dangerous this is?! You know what, just don't talk to me right now ok? I gotta get to work." I slammed the door shut in his face and started driving towards Bobby's.

***

"THE MAFIA?!" Bobby cried incredulously.

"That was my reaction." I sighed sitting on the hood of an old ford car that had been brought in by a youngish teenager to be fixed.

"Does he know how dangerous this is? What sort of danger he is putting himself and not to mention you and Sam in?!"

"I don't think he realises at all Bobby, I just can't believe there is a mafia. I thought it was a made up organisation to keep the kids of the streets."

"Oh there's a mafia alright. There's tons of em! Italian, english, American, there in every country across the world."

"Wow." I couldn't believe it to be honest. I had only known about the mafia from films and books. We'll not really books but there were a lot of films about them.

"Yep, and apparently there is one boss that leads them all. Like the Godfather of all Godfathers." I started laughing and shaking my head. "Don't laugh boy! I'm being serious!" But that only laughed more and I started walking into the garage to get more tools for the car.

"Okay Bobby, I believe you. Godfather of all Godfathers. Phew you really had me going there for a sec." I snorted

"Listen to me Dean." He said with a voice that was hard not to listen to. It was full of sincerity and fear. "Don't go running your mouth to everyone about your pops being in the mafia lad. Bad things could happen, terrible things and I would hate to see you boys get hurt." I nodded in understanding and turned away from him working on the car.