chapter 1

I'd probably still adore you with your hands around my neck

***

3, 2, 1... 

Go!

My eyes narrowed in focus, a fist flew in my direction and I quickly jumped out of the way. The second attack came right away, but I was ready. My foot moved back on the training mat and I slightly lowered myself to down to dodge the punch directed at my face. My opponent then tried to raise his leg to kick me, but I predicted his move and grabbed it before spinning around him him and taking a few steps back. He quickly turned towards me, smirked and raised his fists again. '' You're fast on your feet, but that's not enough to win. ''

The detective Park Jinyoung was wearing no shirt and his black hair was damp with sweat. Bandages were wrapped around his knuckles and his features were tensed in concentration. The two of us were standing on a mat in his apartment's gym room and practicing our fighting techniques, while Jackson was standing on the doorway, with crossed arms and a serious expression on his face. He was watching us and at one point he also couldn't help it but to comment my approach: '' I get it that his sixpack is right in front of you, but that doesn't mean that you should drag the fight on for as long as possible! Just finish him off already! ''

'' Good to hear who you're rooting for, friend, '' Jinyoung snapped back at Jackson, while I stayed silent. '' I know you want her to win just because we decided that the winner will fight you and you are scared of me ever since I broke your nose. ''

Jackson glared at the other detective and hissed: '' That's because you decided to demonstrate what you learned at your first aid class by breaking my nose first! ''

'' It's not my fault that you sit at your desk and do paperwork all day. Was I supposed to show you my new skills by bandaging one of your paper cuts? '' the other detective asked, half mocking him now.

He raised his hand to punch me again and I grabbed his arm like a lot of other times before. Only that this time instead of letting it go and jumping back, I pulled him towards me, raised my knee and slammed it in his stomach. He sucked in a breath with surprise when the air got knocked out of his lungs and I kicked him directly in the shin before I spun around him. I was still holding his wrist and I twisted his arm behind him, raised my foot, placed it on his back and pushed him down on his knee. He was still surprised when he ended up immobilised and in pain, while I smirked and spoke up for the first time: '' I call this tactic 'inflate your opponent's head with confidence like it's a balloon'. ''

I let him go and Jinyoung frowned and massaged his wrists. '' You purposely waited until I got tired, so you could finish me in one move. ''

I wiped my sweaty forehead with the back of my hand and grinned. '' The doctors at our prison weren't that good. It was always better not to get too in a fight and risk getting hurt. ''