chapter 14

how he longs for you to long for him once more

just once more

***

I recognised the place where I woke up almost right away. I had no idea how I returned from Incheon, but I was back in Seoul, laying on a mattress in a cold room that was located at the end of a familiar warehouse. It was one of the many that belonged to Taeyong. I wasn't expecting for him to come back to any of them and risk getting caught by the police, but it seemed like Baekhyun convinced him. 

Was it because of the smuggled gold that we wanted to show to him? Or did he just point a gun at Taeyong and forced him to help us? 

'' Look who finally decided to wake up. Who would've thought that swimming is another thing that you are untalented at? '' Baekhyun asked and faintly smirked when he saw me appear on the doorway. I knew that I looked like I just got hit by a bus and my hair held the scent of muddy water. I let out another yawn, tiredly rubbed my eyes and squinted at him. '' You're not going to believe what we just discovered. ''

'' Try me. Considering everything that happened in the past few days, I don't think it would even surprise me if you would tell me that the gold came from the moon, '' I replied, loudly yawned once again and stepped closer. I looked around the warehouse and I couldn't help it but to think how strange it felt to see it so empty. Taeyong used it to sell vehicles, weapons, stolen objects and anything else that you can possibly think of, but after his run in with the cops, he made sure to get rid of any signs that could point to his criminal activity. After hearing my stories about life in prison, he swore to himself that he would die before he would end up there. 

Taeyong was sitting behind a large table, which was one of the few pieces of furniture that were still left behind. He looked hilarious with a pair of magnifying glasses resting on his nose and typing away on a small laptop. There was a pile of gold by his side, grind in almost dust-like form. Him and Baekhyun carelessly dumped it on the table, even if just one strong gust of wind would be enough to send it all flying away in a cloud.

'' It's not exactly from the moon, but close. '' Taeyong lifted his magnifying glasses and pushed his silver hair back together with them. His eyes were serious and he seemed almost stunned by what him and Baekhyun discovered while I was asleep. '' At first I thought that Kim Haejin owned one of the many illegal gold mines in China, but after taking a better look at the gold and calling some friends to ask them for their opinions, I discovered the truth. This is not just any gold. This is the gold that they took during three different robberies that happened in Hong Kong last month. According to the newspapers, a group of thieves targeted a specific chain of luxury jewellery stores. ''

I crossed my arms on my chest and stared at Taeyong with a frown. '' Just get to the point, will you? ''

'' I was waiting for the 'wow, TY, you're amazing for figuring it out', but whatever. I am taking part of the gold as payment for my services anyway. '' He rolled his eyes, stood up and started packing his things. '' Look. Three jewellery stores in Hong Kong were robbed and the owner got a really high compensation for that. I think it ended up being even higher than the amount of money that he lost. A couple of days after the last robbery, he boarded a plane and fled the country. Want to guess where he went? ''