chapter 4

you should know you're his favourite worst nightmare

***

'' Rei, run! ''

My eyes snapped open, I took a loud breath and sat up on my bed. My heart was racing in my chest and cold sweat was making my messy hair stick to my skin. I was trembling and holding on to my bed sheets like my life depended on it. The images from my nightmare were still incredibly vivid in my head and I desperately needed a breath of fresh air.

I stumbled out of my room and for a moment I forgot that I wasn't in detective Jackson's home or prison anymore. I was in the third floor of the club building instead and I was completely alone. In times like this one, I missed prison. Back then when I got woken up by my nightmares, I would always have someone to talk to, even if it was just an incredibly bored guard in the middle of his night shift. Here I was the new member of the gang and no one really trusted me. It was true that it was only my second night in this place, but I was looking for excuses to call the chatty detective, who was somehow always ready to listen to my whining.

I made my way down the hallway that lead to an opened terrace on the centre of the third floor and stepped outside. There were some lawn chairs there, plants and a ropes that people used for drying their washed clothes. The terrace was shadowy and dark in the middle of the night, but I quickly spotted the two figures that were sitting on a step on the side of it.

The first one was Baekhyun. His legs were stretched out in front of him, he was leaning back and using one of his arms to support himself. He was looking up at the sky and there was a cigarette hanging between his lips. The second one was a woman that I didn't recognise. She had long and wavy dark hair, beautiful eyes and elegant features. She was hugging her legs and her chin was resting on her knees. She barely grazed me with her eyes before she looked down again and I didn't fail to notice the sadness on her face.

Baekhyun turned his head and took a drag from his cigarette. '' Can't sleep, Riri? ''

The woman's head snapped up again when she heard Baekhyun greet me and she stared at me with a stunned expression on her face. '' I heard the rumours, but I didn't think that it was true. You really have a partner now, Baekhyun? ''

The biker frowned in disapproval and almost crushed his cigarette between his fingers. '' Why does everyone think that we are partners?! ''

I wasn't expecting to see anyone else at the terrace, since it was somewhere around four in the morning, but now I snapped out of my surprise and grinned at the woman. '' That's right, Big B over here is my mentor. I am the mentee. ''

The beautiful woman's eyebrows furrowed together with confusion. '' Manatee? ''

Baekhyun's eyes gleamed with amusement when he saw my smile fall, he put his cigarette in an ashtray and stood up. He stretched his arms before he snapped with his fingers and pointed at me. '' Since you are awake, we might as well get to work. You've been accepted in to the gang, but that doesn't mean that you can sleep until noon. You have to earn your cash. ''