chapter 2

that's not a skirt, girl, that's a sawn-off shotgun

and I can only hope you've got it aimed at me

***

The sun was shining high up on the sky, penetrating right through the roofs of the cheap homes and making staying inside feel like you were sitting in an oven and waiting to get cooked. That was exactly what I was doing in a run-down dumplings place that afternoon. Or at least it felt like that, because it was at least an hour and the person that I was waiting for was nowhere to be seen.

Maybe he really did change and he's not coming here anymore?

I was just about to set my chopsticks down and leave when Lee Taeyong stepped through the old curtain that was hanging over the entrance instead of a proper door. He blinked with surprise when he saw me and I let out a breath of relief. This was a sign that I could still trust him. I didn't even realise how much I wanted that until now.

Taeyong and I came from the same part of town and when we were still kids, this was one of the rare places where we could get food. The old lady that owned the dumplings restaurant would always welcome us at the end of the day and make us something edible from the leftovers. She died while I was in prison and her daughter too over the family business, but it seemed like Taeyong was still keeping the promise that he made as a kid. He vowed that when he will get rich, he will take care of the old woman that made sure he wasn't hungry. A little bit before I got arrested, he started bringing her small sums of money at the beginning of every week and it looked like he still didn't change.

'' I need you to get me a motorcycle. A good one. Don't worry about the money, '' I seriously told him when he gave his dumpling order, handed the new owner an envelope full of money and sat down on the opposite side of my table.

'' Don't worry about the money? '' he repeated and raised an eyebrow in doubt. '' That can only mean one thing... You aren't paying for it. Rei, talk to me. What's happening? What did you get yourself involved in? How did you even get out of prison? I know that they put you away for murder. ''

I cringed when he mentioned my dark past, leaned forward and brought my face closer to his. '' Look, I want to trust you, but you know how these things are. The least you know, the better. That way if something goes wrong, no one will come after you. Don't worry about me, T. I got this. You just get me my motorcycle and I'll come by your warehouse to pick it up. ''

He frowned, clearly still unsure what to think. '' When? ''

'' Is tomorrow too early? '' I blurted out and grinned at him.

'' You might want to get in a safer distance away from me, '' he hissed in response and I quickly leaned back on my chair again. He glared at me and began to play around with the rings on his fingers. '' You are lucky that it's you, because if it was anyone else, I would just tell them to go fuck themselves. Quality takes time. It doesn't happen every day that a good motorcycle gets on the market. I got a few in my warehouse right now, but they already have their buyers. I'll think of something and get rid of one of them. Maybe tell them that the bike used to belong to a cop or something like that. That type of things always make them lose interest. ''