chapter 9

too busy being yours to fall for somebody new 

***

'' So, how's the weather there, Jackson? ''

'' You mean on the other side of Seoul? Well actually... We just had this insane snowstorm, a tornado made the water rise up from the Han river and now there's fish falling from the sky! It's insane! I've never seen anything like this before! '' Jackson's voice went from confused to excited as he screamed back through the phone.

My eyes grew wide with surprise. '' What? Really? ''

'' No, you idiot. Why are you asking me about the weather when you are on the other side of Seoul and you can literally just look out the window and check it yourself? '' the detective hissed back and let out a frustrated sigh. The two of us fell in to an uncomfortable silence and I was trying to think about what to say. I was leaning against the railing of the balcony that was going all around the Ace of spades club and holding my phone to my ear. The sun was barely beginning to rise above the tall skyscrapers of Seoul, but I could already hear the distant chatter of people that were awake and the roars of their motorcycle, that shook the building before they sped off down the street.

I had to report back to detective Wang and this was the safest time of the day when I could do it. My heart was still racing in my chest and I kept glancing over my shoulder out of fear that somebody would discover me. I knew very well what would happen if someone would hear me having a conversation with a cop. Especially now, that I was already walking on thin ice. '' Look, I know that I should've called you a little sooner, but... ''

'' Are you still with us? '' Jackson asked out of the blue. My breath got caught in my throat at the sound of his words and I felt my eyes grow wide with surprise. '' It's okay. Just tell me the truth. Tell me if you are still with us or not. The other guys are saying that we'll losing you. That it's only a matter of time before you'll get completely charmed by the biker lifestyle. ''

I bit my lower lip and looked at the view from the second floor of the club building. In reality, I already did get charmed. Probably not just that. Completely swayed, enchanted. '' I'm... working on it. I'm working on it, but I'm trying my best. I'm sorry. You should've chosen someone else for this job. I know that my mother was a famous biker, but I am nothing like her. I get swayed and tempted by the dark side very easily. Especially if they have something shiny, new and nice to dangle in front of my face, like motorcycles. ''

Jackson sighed and murmured: '' No. I chose you because I wanted you. It wasn't a coincidence. I knew that you would be perfect for this job and I was right. I knew that it'll be difficult to keep you with us too, but I'll figure a way to make you stay on our side. What are you doing right now? Do you have any news about the Aces's secret business? ''