chapter 8

she's a silver lining climbing on my desire

***

The sharp object was coming closer and closer before it buried in to my skin and a scream erupted from the bottom of my throat.

'' Will you stop being dramatic, Rei? You're going to scare my customers away! What a sissy. ''

'' How am I supposed to not scream when you are repeatedly stabbing a needle in to my shoulder?! ''

I was laying on a tattoo table and hiding my face in my hands. My back was exposed and the tattoo artist Kai was leaning over my figure and trying to work. His dark hair was falling forward on his forehead, his eyes were narrowed in concentration and biting his lower lip to hold back his laughter at Baekhyun's irritated comments. He was one of the gang's best racers, but in his free time he worked as a tattoo artist. The walls of his studio were covered with his artwork and I could tell from his warm and gentle touch that he was an expert, but I still couldn't help it but to be nervous.

Needles were something that I wasn't a fan of, but it wasn't always like that. After my mother died, I lived here and there and I even spent some time with a hardcore drug addict. Needles were an ordinary thing to me back then, but everything changed about a year ago. I got really sick in prison, so I was taken to an infirmary and a girl who I was constantly arguing with, thought that it would be a perfect chance to get rid of me then. She followed me there and I barely managed to stop her from killing me, but I did end up with a needle stabbed through my hand and three more in different parts of my body.

'' Can you make this fast? We have work to do once we're done here, '' Baekhyun seriously murmured. His arms were crossed on his chest, he was leaning against the wall and tapping his foot in frustration. His gaze kept moving towards my exposed back and the old tattoo that I had right above my behind. 

Nobody's angel.

I still remembered how embarrassed when something happened a couple of days ago. I was leaning over my motorcycle in the garage and working on some easy modifications when he appeared out of nowhere. I didn't hear him, so I couldn't help it but to scream when I felt his warm fingers touch my skin and slightly lift my shirt. He caught a glimpse of the tattoo and he was curious to see how the complete thing looked like. My cheeks were coloured red and I shoved him away without answering his question about how I got it. He stepped back and dropped the subject, but when our gazes met again, there was something strange in his eyes.

It was there that day too, when he watched Kai's hands on my back, even if the tattoo artist was simply doing his job. I wasn't planning to get a tattoo of the cards, which were a symbol of the Aces, but I changed my mind when the gang leader Junmyeon asked me if I would be prepared to do it. I was slowly gaining his trust and I couldn't afford to make any mistakes now, so I told him the first thing that I could think of. '' A tattoo is forever, but family is too. ''