Z

The scorching sun burned my skin mercilessly as I picked up another bag of sand and hurled it over my back. I had a twelve hour shift today and my legs were already shaking from over use.

It didn't help that my breakfast had consisted of torn pieces of bread that hadn't gone bad which I had found in the bin outside the bakery.

I struggled to keep my legs from giving way underneath me. Sweat dripped down my forehead and ran down my back. It was only my second day of work but it felt like I had been here for weeks.

It definitely wasn't the ideal job but it was better than nothing. At least now I would be able to put some food on the table. I thought about the pay I would be getting by the end of the week and my mouth began to water.

I haven't tasted proper food in years. Images of the bread in the bakery flitted through my mind and I could almost smell the fresh dough being brought out of the oven.

I knew the smell too well. It was a daily routine for me to scavenge around for discarded or burnt bread the bakery threw out some times. Once I had come across two loaves of burnt bread. I had kept them like priceless pieces of treasure, savouring bits and pieces throughout the day and leaving the best parts for my mother.

A small smile fought its way across my tired face. Maybe this time it wouldn't be old or burnt bread on our table. Maybe I might even be able to buy some meat.

I licked my lips as I dragged my feet towards the mound of bags in the centre of the site. I couldn't remember the last time I'd had meat for a meal. The idea of it felt too good to be true.

After carrying a few more bags we were done for the day and I sat down for a while feeling slightly light headed. My lips were parched and my throat was too dry, it was painful to swallow.

I knew I had to head back soon. The nights were cold and the thin worn down clothes I wore weren't enough to protect me. I needed the fire at home. I wondered if my mother was home now and my heart sank knowing I would have to set the fire myself because she never got around to it.

Once I had enough energy I began my walk back to town. The sun had begun to set and the heat of the day was slowly being replaced by the chill of night.

I passed a well by a minister's house and suddenly my feet couldn't move anymore. I was thirsty, too thirsty to ignore the sight of it. I wondered if my mother had brought back some clean water after her shift last night and shook my head to rid myself from the fantasy.

She always claimed she had rich men fawning all over her and yet she always came back after work empty handed.

No, I knew the truth by now. If I didn't take care of myself, no one else would.

My feet were heavy as I cautiously walked over to the well. I looked down into the deep dark pit and the sound of water lapping down below felt like music to my ears.

Fatigue was quickly replaced with urgency and the need to survive till the next day.

I lowered the bucket by the side into the well and scooped up some water. I then pulled it up with whatever energy I had left and brought it over the ledge.

I looked around cautiously making sure no one was around before I dunked my head into the water and gulped down as much as I could. I nearly choked in the process but the water tasted divine on my dry tongue.

Once I'd had enough I cupped some of the water with my hands and washed my face a few times. It was amazing how refreshed I felt after only a few splashes.