Chapter 2: Conflict

The crushing dead weight above made me gasp for air and I wanted to scream when dark liquid pooled into my mouth. I spurted out Dr Logans blood and attempted to push him off but he was too heavy.

As I pushed again his body surprisingly fell to the side effortlessly and I saw Zayn standing by the bed with a gun in hand. He pushed Dr. Logan's body further away and then he grabbed my hand.

"We have to leave now," There was an urgency in his voice that I've never heard before. I looked up at him in shock and then at the dead body next to me.

My mouth fell open in horror as I saw Dr. Logan's face had blackened. His eyes were wide open, his pupils focused on my face but the black in them slowly turned to white. Within a few seconds Dr. Logan had turned into an emaciated pile of bones and papery white skin with large black protruding veins that looked like snakes.

"What the..." My arm stung with pain when I felt myself being yanked up from the bed.

Zayn tugged at me but I remained still and unmoving.

What was happening? Was this real? Was I hallucinating? It must have been the drugs this morning. The dose they gave me must have been too high.

"Rosalie, if we don't leave now, he won't be the only dead body here," Zayn warned and I focused on his face for a moment.

There was no signature smirk or taunting smile, he looked serious and for the first time a little scared. I could see the panic in his eyes and his lips were pulled into a tight line. His jaw clenched as he grew impatient and pulled me towards him.

He grabbed my bed sheet and wiped the blood that I had forgotten was on my face.

"Zayn? Are you real? This can't be real, right?" I whispered as his cold hands brushed my lips. I brought my hand up and held on to his arm for confirmation. I then squeezed it just to be sure. "I thought you were dead. Everyone told me I killed you."

Zayn grimaced and he stared at me in pity.

He then cupped my face and suddenly my whole world disappeared and all I could see were his beautiful eyes boring into mine.

"I'm not dead. You didn't kill me, Rosalie. It was all a lie. I will explain everything but you need to trust me right now. We have to leave. There are others like him here and if they find us we're both dead."

This time he didn't wait for my response, he just grabbed my hand and made me walk with him.

My mind was swirling with questions but I remained silent. I didn't know what to do. Should I stay here or trust him? He must have felt my resistance because his hand tightened around mine and he practically dragged me along the dark corridor outside my room.

I'd never been out at this time of day and I could see that the hallways were empty with small ceiling lights that shone dimly. We walked quickly and turned a few corners, I had no idea where we were going and it felt like I was walking in a maze. Every corner lead to another corridor, every corridor lead to another corner.

"Zayn where are we—" I gasped when he covered my mouth with his hand and pushed me against the wall.

His body was flush against mine, I could feel every inch of him against me and my skin felt like it was on fire. My insides were warm and fuzzy and I'd almost forgotten that he had me by the wall with his hand clasped firmly over my mouth.

I frowned at him, angrier at myself for having this reaction even after everything he has done.

He didn't seem to notice the internal battle going on inside my head. Instead his eyes were filled with alarm and he slowly released his hand from my mouth. He brought his finger to his lips motioning for me to be quiet.