Z

"So hows everything going with that brunette I've been seeing you with?" Ali teased me as I rushed to the bar to refill a customers drink. 

"Great," I answered as I snuck a glance at her from behind the bar. Ever since we started sleeping together she never seemed to leave me alone. I wasn't going to lie, for a guy who'd never experienced the pleasure from a woman before I definitely did like her company. 

But somehow that's all she was to me and no matter how many times she told me she loved me, I could never seem to say the words back. I suppose the reluctance on my side was what drove her to come to the bar every night to watch me work. 

"Must be, seeing as you two have been inseparable ever since," Ali shot me a gap toothed smile and I sighed. 

"Yeah, maybe I should start working in the kitchen," I answered and Ali laughed in response. 

"Boy, she's whipped and if you're not interested, I'll take her."

I burst out laughing at my colleague who was engaged to one of the women who cooked in the kitchen. 

"Yeah, I'm sure Maria would love that," I replied as I balanced a tray of drinks on my shoulder and proceeded to walk out to serve our customers. 

I could feel Josephine's eyes on me the whole time I served a table of ladies and I felt really uncomfortable and slightly annoyed tonight. Why couldn't she just trust me? It's not like I liked any of these girls. 

She didn't have to worry about me falling for someone else anytime soon. The only girl who occupied my thoughts was dead. 

My heart felt heavy just thinking about the one person I truly wanted. Even though these past few months in this new city have been better to me that it ever was in Seville, I still knew that I would give it all up just to see Arabella smile or hear her laugh just one more time. 

Every time I touched Josephine or climaxed inside her, it was always Arabella I saw and felt in my arms. 

I knew it wasn't fair to Josephine but I couldn't help it. Ali told me time healed all wounds, but the wound Arabella left me with seemed to grow larger by the day. Every minute I was left alone with my thoughts, I ended up thinking about her and how things would have been if she lived. 

I imagined if we had both survived and come here to the America's together. I would work at the bar and come home to her when I was done, and we would live together in a cute little house, maybe even have children one day. Foolish thoughts like these made my chest ache so bad that I started working extra shifts just to distract myself.

Josephine was a good distraction at first, but now the effects were slowly wearing off and her persistence was kind of putting me off. 

She was sitting alone at one of the tables away from the stage where a duo were singing blues music and when she caught my eye she quickly waved me over. 

Not knowing if she wanted to order a drink or just ask me if anyone hit on me like she always does, I walked towards her and placed the empty tray I was holding on the table. 

"Hey, you didn't have to come today if your friends aren't here," I said nicely. "Do you want anything to drink?"

She beamed at me and leaned in for a kiss. I pecked her quickly and moved away. 

"You're English is so good now," She praised me and I knew I had her to thank for that. 

I just smiled at her and waited for her to order something. 

"I think I'll have a glass of water tonight. Didn't feel like drinking anything but I missed you," She stroked my arm lovingly. 

"Oh ok." I cursed myself for that pathetic reply. "I'll see you later then."