Chapter 5: Blurred Lines of Grey

I was sitting on the unmade bed, staring at the cream wall in front of me. The colour would have been beautiful in the beginning with rays of sunshine shining through the window above but now the cream was dull and its edges peeled away giving rise to the dirty grey beneath.

The real wall was ugly and eventually all the paint in the world would not be able to cover its ugliness. In the end the paint would fade and the undesirable grey would rear its true face for the world to see.

I focused on the splotches of faded stains and ink marks that would have been someone's scribbles before it was covered with the cream.

It was dirty and stained and yet it was strangely more captivating than the cream paint covering it. The grey had a story to tell, the grey had been through more than the cream ever will.

Which begged the question; did time make everything uglier?

Would I have made the same choices as Zayn if I was a vampire, made to live forever and feed on human blood?

There was a part of me that screamed blasphemy at him for making me go through what I did for the past few months. But there was also the part of me who tried to understand him, who sympathized with the pain in his eyes and the longing in his voice.

It was definitely the stupider part of me but it was there, puncturing my heart with a needle and hanging it by a thread.

It was never just me. He has tortured and killed so many others.

But he saved me. He risked his life, his existence for me. That had to mean something, right?

My head throbbed as I held it in my hands, unable to look at the wall anymore.

I heard the bathroom door shut and turned around to see Harry walking out in nothing but his jeans. His short hair was wet and he shook it out, letting water droplets fall over his bare chest.

It was the first time I'd seen this much of him. His cheeks reddened slightly and he pretended not to notice as I took in his firm chest and chiseled stomach but really all I was thinking about was the grey paint with its scribbles.

Harry's tattoo's reminded me of them. They told a story only he would ever really know about.

I wanted to know what made Zayn do something so horrible. I wanted to know what scarred him to make such a decision. If he was just plain evil, why would he be here with us, running away from a council who wanted him to join them?

I lay down for a while feeling my head swim with questions that were making me dizzy.

The bed dipped beside me and I turned around to see Harry watching me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked carefully in a soft voice as if he were afraid speaking any louder would break me.

"I don't know," I replied honestly, feeling slightly numb. "I'd always wanted to prove that I wasn't crazy but I didn't expect the truth to hurt so much."

"I know it's scary to realize you have been right all along. Just like I was with my father," Harry said but his eyes were clouded and I couldn't gauge how he really felt.

"At least you know he didn't leave for you and your mother for someone else," I offered in solace.

"Yeah, I guess. But it isn't really a happy ending, is it? I mean he's still out there somewhere. I don't even know if I will ever see him again," His voice broke and I wanted to reach out to him but I was too numb to move.

We remained silent, both of us too preoccupied with our own thoughts until he spoke again.

"Do you have feelings for him?" Harry asked.