Z

I longed to join Arabella in the deep slumber she left me for but sadly luck was not on my side when it came to death.

We had spent nearly thirty nights on this large horrible ship and every time I tried to escape some stranger had saved me.

I looked into the dark grey water lapping below me. I could finally look at it without throwing up.

"Why won't you let me join you?" I whispered but my words were drowned out by the loud waves crashing into each other.

I had tried jumping more times than I could count but still I was here, against my will, serving people I had grown to loathe.

After a few days of tending to the mayor's family and the doctor it had dawned on me that they had a cure for the plague only it wasn't enough for the whole village. So instead of using every bit of it to save the others, they had consumed a fraction of it and kept the rest for future use.

My blood boiled every time I was near them but there was nothing I could do. I was a small, skinny boy with no family or friends. I was alone.

I blinked a few times and placed my hand over my chest. Sometimes I wondered how my heart was still beating.

I had lost everything to the plague. My home, my mother, my town and most importantly Arabella and her sisters. I had nothing and no one else to live for.

My chest felt light and strangely empty. I had lost all will to carry on.

"There he is." A woman's shrill voice made me grit my teeth. "Why are you lounging around here when you should be making dinner for us."

I ignored the mayor's wife and walked inside to prepare their dinner. Out of all of them, I disliked her the most. She called me names and sometimes hit me with her shoes.

Once I was done I brought the food into their dining room and laid out the dishes carefully in front of them. The doctor was the only one who thanked me before I left. He was the only polite one but what he did was despicable and I would never forgive him for turning his back on our people.

I walked back into the kitchen and ate the leftovers while I peered at them through the glass barrier.

The mayors daughter played with her food and threw some of it on the floor which I would have to clean up later.

There were others on the lower decks who were starving on this ship and these people were wasting food just because they had money.

How is it people like this survived while others don't?

"Stop looking, it'll only make you more angry," Wynona said. She was the chief cook in this kitchen and she had been one of the people who stopped me from jumping off the boat. I had grown to like her despite what she did.

The ship we were on had stopped over from the northern countries and there were refugees from there who were travelling to the Americas as well. Wynona was one of them.

Everyone here spoke of America as a huge place untouched by greed and full of promise. They were all excited to start a new life over there while here I was trying to end mine.

"Look at her, throwing away that piece of bacon that must have cost five pesos," I said and then I turned away.

"You can take it and eat it once they're done. By the way I heard we will be reaching land tomorrow," Wynona said.

"Really?" I looked at her in surprise.

The journey to this so called great country seemed to be taking forever I was beginning to think it didn't exist.