Z

"Calling for order! Calling for order! The meeting is about to begin," Charlie called out in a boisterous voice through the microphone he held. He always loved these opportunities to show his position and who he was to the council members. 

Today marked the ten year anniversary of our latest feeding schedule and most of us had been summoned to the councils headquarter's in Europe for a feedback and sharing session. The council was big on feedback session's always trying to show us how much they valued our opinions when in fact it was usually just for show.

The truth is they only valued a handful of vampire's opinions. The ones who always voted in their favor. 

The hall was packed with eager and ambitious vampires like Charlie, there were hardly any seats available anymore. 

I leaned against the wall and stared at everyone scuttling to find seats nearest to the podium where ten plush armchairs had been arranged for the founding council members. After moving from continent to continent, country to country, I had to suppress a smile at how similar we were to the humans we claimed were beneath us. 

Most government officials in the countries I had lived in were given this same treatment. Made to sit on platform's higher than us and in large chairs that screamed importance when in fact they ate, slept, had sex, and defecated just like everyone else. And yet they were given special treatment. Why?

This was the main reason I had turned down their proposal to join as a junior council member. It was pointless because I knew all these meetings and feedback sessions were just for show. There was only one person who really called the shots around here and most probably around the world. 

Lavender. 

After being her pet toy for the longest time, I learned what true evil and corruption looked like and that nothing was ever as it seemed. Lavender was a seductive demon, no one could ever say no to her and she had either directly or indirectly played very crucial roles in the Great World War in 1914 to 1918, World War Two in 1939 to 1945, the Vietnam War, and the terrorist attacks in the Middle east.

The benefits she gained from all of these catastrophes were clear cut. Her arms dealing empire made millions from all the wars and the pharmaceutical and medical companies under her made millions from all the casualties and sicknesses. Not only was she profiting from these, she also had a tight grip on all drug cartels all over the world and the black markets that dealt with trafficking. 

No one else held power like her and the world didn't even know it. She was a dark force manipulating everyone and everything behind the scenes. There were rumors that she practiced black magic to exercise more control over people and I wouldn't be surprised if she actually did. She was capable of anything.

I watched as the council members filled the stage. Atmos and Aria sat next to each other and smiled at the audience. Kayla had a serious expression on her face, no doubt preparing for her updates on her research to produce artificial blood so that we wouldn't have to depend on humans anymore. 

I scoffed to myself. The whole thing was a joke. We vampires were hunters, there was no thrill in drinking out of a blood bag. That's why my feeding schedule received so much praise. Everyone loved hunting without getting caught. 

No one was going to support Kayla's cause but we entertained her because she was a member of the council and Lavender's sister. It always shocked me how different the two of them were. While Lavender loved drinking humans blood and killing, Kayla practiced a "vegetarian" diet to protest against us feeding on humans. 

She only fed from rodents and donated blood bags. Which was probably why she was always in a bad mood. Everything she did went against our nature.