Chapter 6: Camouflage

I woke up to the sound of Harry mumbling in his sleep. The sun had crept into the room illuminating the ruffled sheets around us and Harry's chestnut brown hair.

He pushed it out of his eyes and scowled.

"Why do I feel like I haven't slept at all?" He stretched out his arms and yawned loudly.

I smiled at his reaction. I couldn't even remember getting into bed last night. The last image on my mind was Zayn's pained expression when he told me about his past.

In comparison Harry had gotten much more sleep than I and here he was complaining.

I sat up slowly and massaged my sore shoulders. After all the stress from yesterday my back felt like it was tied in knots.

We fell silent when we saw Zayn walk in quietly with a bag in his hand.

He stopped at the foot of our bed, took out two small boxes and placed them at our feet.

Instead of speaking he gestured for us to pick them up.

Why was he acting so strange?

I cast him an inquisitive look before I crawled over to the end of the bed and picked up my box.

Hair dye?

"We need disguises," He whispered and held out a box of his own for us to see as well.

He then fished through the bag and tossed us two smaller rectangular boxes.

"Colored lenses," Harry nodded his head in understanding.

"I think it's time we got out of here. The longer we stay the higher the chances of them finding us," Zayn said apprehensively. "There are three bathrooms here so each of us can use one to save time."

"Do they know where we are?" I whispered in panic. His low tone and constant fidgeting was making me nervous. Did he know something we didn't?

He didn't answer me, instead he walked over to a table by the wall with stationary scattered all over it and picked up a pen. He began scribbling on it's surface which made Harry and I jump up and walk over to read what he was writing.

I peered over his moving hand and squinted at his tiny writing. I didn't have my glasses so I had to bend over to read his miniscule words.

I hacked a phone line last night and heard a conversation between two of the council's trackers. They were heading south but they decided turn west in our direction and widen their search. I kept my ears peeled for any sound of a car approaching our road but never heard anything. At the rate they're going, it's only a matter of time till they pass this house and since its abandoned any vampire can come in.

The hairs on my arms stood at the thought of vampires entering this house and finding us.

I grabbed my box and ran to the nearest bathroom to wash up and dye my hair.

I mixed the contents and applied it all over my head and then I cleaned up. While I waited for the dye to set I thought about our future.

I didn't even know what was going to happen today. Where were we going to go?

Yesterday all I could think about was finding a place to hide and rest but now what?

I washed my hair all the while hoping Zayn and Harry had a plan because I had no idea what to do.

It was too overwhelming to think about the whole vampire government going after us so I pushed it to the back of my mind and thought about how hungry I was instead.