Z

Dark soulless eyes stared at me as I closed my eyes and the smell of burning wood flooded my nostrils. My eyes flickered behind my eyelids as I try to rest but then I hear her laughter and suddenly it becomes too much to bear.

My eyes snapped open and I sat up straight, staring at the empty wall of this room I've been made to stay in.

Will I ever be free from those nightmares? The burning ship, all those people dead from the plague, my mother, Aurora?

I ran my hands through my hair, feeling angry and tired and cursing my very existence. Sometimes I just want to end it all. Forget everything that happened and disappear.

But then I remembered you, Rosalie.

My latest victim, my sweet, vulnerable delicious meal. My fingers tingled with excitement as I thought of you. Sometimes I just want to stare at you all day as you worry about all those problems running around in your pretty little head, sometimes I want to walk into your room and bleed you dry just like all those other victims I've had.

It's weird having a victim who reminds me of Aurora. I've never had one before and have only ever dated girls who reminded me of her. 

But that's just the thing. You are different, Rosalie and I don't know if the universe is playing some cruel joke on me or if this whole thing was just plain coincidence - which I find hard to believe - but I never expected you to befriend Harry Styles of all people. Why couldn't you divulge your secret to your big mouth best friend Melanie or tell your parents or go to the police like all the victims usually do? 

No, you just had to attract the attention of another lunatic who semi believes in vampires. Good on you, Rosalie. Just fucking great.

I thought of Dr Edward Style's son as I headed over to your house and sure enough you are talking to him again.

I can hear his gravelly through the phone you have cradled beneath that adorable ear of yours.

I leaned against the tree and watch as your tiny hands finger the pendant he gave you. The one that's supposed to protect you from me, except you're not wearing it. It's like you want me to harass you.

I stifled a laugh as you two plot an adorably stupid plan to catch me; garlic, holy water and Harry hiding in your cupboard with some vest that's supposed to lower his heartbeat?

Are you two on crack?

You bit your lip and it makes my sluggish blood flow slightly faster and suddenly all I want to do is rip that phone out of your hand, throw you on your bed and kiss those lips that belong to me.

But you're talking to him and I can't help but wonder if you're biting your lip because of him and for some reason it makes me mad.

Of all the people in the entire state of Perth, why did you confess to this lunatic who is playing to your tune like the strings of a harp?

You cut the line, finally and I snigger to myself as you shut your curtains without noticing me. Your mum is crying in her room, no doubt because of your cheating father and sometimes I feel bad for you, Rosalie. The writing is scattered all over the walls but somehow you don't see it and that's what makes messing with you so much fun.

And tonight we're going to have loads of it.

I forced the window open and climbed in, waiting to surprise you and surprise you I did. You didn't expect to see me today and the panic on your flushed face is like food to my soul.

I shouldn't enjoy this so much. I really shouldn't. I forced you to wear the dress I bought with your dad's credit card and then I waited. There's a picture of your fake friend Melanie on your dressing table.