27: New Beginnings

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

Mekai

I stared at my screen with a blank expression. I was randomly scrolling through Instagram when I came across a picture of my ex. He was the first and only nigga I actually cared for, that was before I met Lamelo ofcourse.

 He was the first and only nigga I actually cared for, that was before I met Lamelo ofcourse

236 likes

nbazenxgoat: Aye Chino Hills, wassup? 🤔

23 comments

I stared at the picture for a while, reminiscing about our relationship. We met when I was only a freshman, he was a a junior at that time. He approached me during lunch and asked if he could sit. Being a young and naive freshman, I gladly accepted. We became closer and he eventually asked me out. The first five months of the relationship were breathtaking, that was before everything changed.

Zenan began to distance himself from me. He texted less and would dodge me around school. I was crushed, but at the same time, not surprised. I grew tired of his nonsense and broke things off. It was my first heartbreak. I didn't engage in another relationship until now. To see he was in the same city as me brought back unsettled memories.

"Babbbyyyyyy," Melo yelled barging in the room.

I exited instagram and placed my phone down.

"Hey Melon," I said grinning.

"I'm hungry, let's take a snack run."

I jumped up excitedly and put on my shoes.

"Aye baby, did you fall from a vending machine?" I asked.

"What kind of question is that Kai,I fell from a golf cart," Melo answered confused.

"Cause you a snaccccc!"

"Shut yo lame ass up and let's go," He chuckled

We drove to a gas station about 15 minutes away and I hurriedly open the door as we got there.

Melo opened the door for me and I immediately  began to grab snacks. I was so caught up in picking snacks that I didn't even realize Lamelo was gone. I felt a figure came around me, but I ignored it thinking it was him.

"Mekai?" I heard someone muttered questionably.

I turned around and met the distraught face of Zenan. My body jerked back and my eyes instantly met the floor.

"Kai, I know we ended off bad, but I really need to explain to you what happened," He looked at me with pleasing eyes.

"Explain that you ghosted me? I've figured that out already," I rolled my eyes in dismay.

"Mekai just listen to me okay. I was damn near inlove with you, you were my everything. One day while I was going home your dad pulled up on me and threatened for me to leave you alone. He kept saying that I had nothing to offer you and that I could never afford the lifestyle you live. I only wanted the best for you kai, that's why I left. It messed me up so bad that I moved in with my dad and switched schools," Zenan spoke.

I was lost for words. My eyes got glossy and I quickly blinked away the tears. How shallow could my parents possibly be? Zenan grew up in the projects, but he was determined and didn't focus on unrealistic dreams. He was practical and always had a plan.

"But I came back to the city with hopes of seeing you. I'm going to UCLA studying to be a pharmacist, I moved out the hood and I got a job now. I just wanna  know if I'm worth having you now babygirl," He said grabbing my hand.

 I just wanna  know if I'm worth having you now babygirl," He said grabbing my hand

"Zenan, I didn't know anything about this. You were always worth it. You made my days brighter and you leaving really changed my perspective on things. It's just that--" I was cut off by a loud voice.

"Baby who's this?"