31

Lamelo

The car ride to my house was quiet. That's so unlike Mekai, and it eats me up to see her getting depressed over this. All I know is that I have to try to keep her happy and remove her mind from this.

"Will you tell my family?" I asked holding her hand in mine.

"Yeah I will," She sighed looking down.

We got to my house and I opened the door for her. Luckily, my entire family were in the kitchen already.

"There's my favorite daughter in law!" My dad yelled.

My entire family hugged her as they greeted each other.

"Why you looking all sad little sis? Melo did you something, cause i'll knock his ass out," Lonzo said.

She chuckled slightly and shook her head no.

"Mekai has something she wants to tell you guys," I spoke up for her.

"Hold up this nigga serious as hell, ahh shit kai pregnant yoooo," Gelo gasped.

My mom opened her eyes wide and Mekai hurriedly declined the accusations.

"Well I did go to the doctors today, and I found out I have thyroid cancer. It's in it's early stage though, i'm lucky," Mekai blurted out.

My family stood there wide eyed with sorrowful looks on their faces. My mom hugged Mekai tightly and cried as she struggled to express her self to her.

"We are here for you always," My mom reassured Kai.

My dad and brothers also hugged Kai and comforted her.

"Is it cool if I stayed over at her house tonight?" I asked my dad.

He pulled me aside and I looked at him confused.

"Now is your time to prove that although you're young, you could be the husband you were meant to be. Stand by your woman Lamelo, don't let her sink down into a hole of sadness," My dad advised me.

I shook my head and went up to my room to get my things. When I came back down, the boys were joking around with Mekai which caused her to smile a bit. I just wanted to see her happy again.

"Let's go booboo," I kissed her cheek.

We both told my family bye and went back into the vehicle.

"How about we stop by for your favorite and have a little icecream date?" I suggested.

"The doctor said I should avoid dairy foods," She looked through the window sadly.

I sighed in my head and tried to think of something else.

"Okay then we'll go to a fruit bar then we'll visit the art museum."

She looked at me and forced a smile. It hurts so bad to see my baby hurting. i'll try to do everything in my power to get her back to the way she was before. She's beating this cancer for sure. I couldn't even imagine a life without her. I already named our kids in my head and built our perfect home. I want her to be there when I get drafted. I'll have to cut off some workouts to be with her though. Even though her parents are there, I don't want her to feel alone.

"Lamelo I don't want you missing your workouts and things for the draft because of me," She said as if she was reading mind.

"But Mekai I want to be there every step with you babygirl, please!" I begged.

"It's not worth sacrificing your future for Lamelo."

"What do you mean it's not worth it ? You are my wife Mekai. You're the reason I go out there and play. You're the reason why i'm trying so hard, for you, for us, for our future. If I had to choose between you and basketaball, it's you no doubt," I expressed myself to her.

"Try to save the thing you'll have in the long run," She sobbed slightly referring to basketball.

"And that's exactly what i'm doing, i'm saving you," I answered.