Chapter 3

Hannah was sitting on one of the counter stools in front of the island. I was leaning against the refrigerator, unsure if I should say something. It was like we were in some kind of silent game where she stared at me with her piercing blue eyes and I did my best to avoid her stare.  I took a deep breath and opened the door of my refrigerator. I grabbed a bottle of water and placed it in front of Hannah.

"Thank you." Hannah twisted the cap off with ease and took a sip of water. "So far from what Jane told me about you is that you're not a people person.

"That's true. Some people like being in the company of others. I enjoy being in solitude. What about you?" I fiddled with the cap of my water bottle, trying to calm my nerves.

"I prefer being in the company of people I'm close with rather than being in a group of strangers," Hannah answered as she placed her bottle of water on the island.

"With your job choice it must be hard then?"

"That's true. I guess I'm in the wrong profession," Hannah said with a laugh.

"Did you choose to be a model or did someone hand pick you off the streets?"

"They rarely scout people anymore. I just sent my pictures around some agencies in New York because I wanted to make some money for college," Hannah answered. "It was a little more time consuming than I thought."

"What did you major in college?"

"Psychology," Hannah replied.

My eyes widened at the answer. I know it wasn't great to judge people, but psychology was not something I had in mind.

"Surprising?" A small smirk appeared on Hannah's lips.

"Yes, very surprising," I said.

"What did you think I majored in?"

"I don't know... art theory?" I could feel her eyes pierce through me and all I could do was look at my hands.

"Art theory? What kind of major is that," Hannah said with a stifled laugh.

"I don't know. I met a girl at my freshman orientation and she told me that was her major," I said as a tiny bit of a smile found its way toward my lips.

"So something about that girl made you think I would major in art theory?"

"No...I don't know... look wise definite no...." The only thing she had in common with that girl were that they both had blue eyes. I wasn't sure why I thought art theory or why it came out of my mouth. Was it because it was a useless major that someone who didn't need a normal career could have?

"It's okay, I'm just teasing you." Her smile was so deep that you can see the dimples on her cheeks. 

I nod and quickly looked away while I took a sip of water. Was I always this nervous when meeting someone? Where was Jane when I needed her?

"What was your major then?"

"Biology," I answered. The word tasted bitter as it left mouth. 

Hannah's perfect eyebrow rose at the answer. "That's completely different from writing."

"I thought I wanted to be a doctor," I said. Those years where I struggled in vain with trying to please my parents by getting into med school, caused me to feel sick. I never wanted to remember those times again. Maybe that's why I moved so far from home?  A part of me felt like a disappointment to them, but another part of me resented them. Her eyes saddened at my response and I couldn't help but stare at her at that moment.

"Something changed?" She said softly. She nodded her head like she understood my feelings, like she's been through something similar.

"Lots." I turned away from her and took a gulp of water.

There was complete silence afterwards and I wanted Jane to come back quickly. I needed her to be a buffer between Hannah and I. I didn't want to talk anymore.

"So are you a morning person?" Hannah asked.

"No, and I don't know how anyone can be one," I replied. A frown formed on my face as I turned back toward Hannah.

"You can get a lot done and it's beautiful in the morning," Hannah explained.

It was a good thing that she was a morning person. I didn't have to see her for half the day. "That's...true. So how is it being a model?"

"There's some good things of course, but it's hard having people criticize you about how you should look, working long hours and rich guys hitting on you. They think that just because they have money that you can be easily bought."

"Like Jack Gamble,' I mumbled.

"Yes, guys like him," Hannah said as she rolled her eyes.

"He's not your type?" He was the type of guy every young woman looking for a rich older man to take care of them would want. That idea made me sick. I could imagine his stupid, smarmy face and it made me want to hurl.

"He's the exact opposite of my type," Hannah responded.

I nodded my head as a small smile appeared on my lips. She was different than I expected. If a rich and handsome guy wasn't her type then what was her type? Maybe a nerdy tech guy or maybe some rugged, bad boy type?

"What about you?" A playful smile formed on her lips.

The smile quickly turned to a frown and I stared at her in shock. "First of all I'm not a fan of people and if I was, it would be a big no. He's arrogant, old enough to be my father, married and touchy."

"Touchy?" Her eyebrow rose at the word as a look of concern graced her face.

"He would pat me in the back or place his arm around me. That type." I grimace at the image. It was one of the reasons I hated seeing him. He was fine with not giving me handshakes anymore after I told him I was a germaphobe, so he resorted into doing those things.

"Oh yeah, Jane did mention that you were the type that loved your personal space," Hannah stated.

I wasn't the type to believe in love, but my adoration of having my personal space was in a class all by itself. "Yes, preferably an eight inch radius between me and another person," I said casually.

"You are interesting." A look of disbelief and something else I couldn't quite tell came across her face.

"Please, I bet you have met people much more interesting." She's probably traveled the whole world more than once. She was bound to meet some interesting people.

"I don't know about that yet." A smirk appeared on Hannah's lips.

A loud knock was heard and I quickly went to open the door. Hoping it was Jane.

"So how was the girl talk?" Jane asked as she came inside.

"It was good," Hannah replied. She met Jane and I at the door.

"Yes, pleasant," I added .Surprisingly, it wasn't the train wreck I expected it to be.

Jane tried her best to contain her smile. She loved it when her plans worked out. She stared at me for while as though she could try to read my thoughts. She held out a contract in front of me.

I reluctantly nodded my head in agreement.

"What do you think about moving here?" Jane directed her attention to Hannah.

"I would like it a lot," Hannah said.

"Fantastic!" Jane clapped her hands together as the smile on her face grew larger. "I've got the contract with me and if you don't mind we can head out to meet the property manager. He can tell you more about the apartment."

"Okay, sounds good," Hannah said. "I guess I'll be seeing you later then."

"Yes, later." I waved them goodbye as I expected the worst come the following week.