Chapter 38

Cara's P.O.V.

Jane stayed in the safety of the apartment while Hannah and I met Amanda in the lobby.

"Next time call ahead," Hannah stated as she walked toward Amanda. "You need to stop dropping by unexpectedly."

"I'm sorry. One-track mind," Amanda answered as she tapped the side of her head with her index finger. "Once I'm set on something, I just go without a second thought."

"If you're hanging out together, make sure you don't get into any trouble," Hannah warned.

"Please, how much trouble can Cara get into," Amanda scoffed.

"I'm talking about you, stupid." Hannah smacked Amanda's arm.

"Ouch!" Amanda glared at Hannah as she rubbed her arm.

Hannah quickly glanced at her phone. "My ride is almost here."

I gave Hannah a hug before we walked out of the building together. Amanda quickly followed.

"I can't believe you're leaving. Isn't it Cara's birthday?" Amanda glanced at me before turning her attention to Hannah.

"I know. Bad timing," Hannah replied as a black SUV pulled up beside the apartment building. "Don't cause any trouble and DON'T ruin Cara's birthday party."

 "Like I would," Amanda scoffed. "Have a safe flight." She pulled Hannah into a hug.

The driver of the SUV came out to help Hannah put her luggage into the car.

"I'll be back soon," Hannah said.

Amanda moved aside so that I can give Hannah one last hug and kiss.

"Please be careful," I stated firmly.

"I will," Hannah replied with a grin before she got into the SUV. Once in she rolled down the window so that we could wave goodbye to each other.

As the SUV pulled away, Amanda turned her attention toward me. "Happy birthday!"

"Thank you," I said.

"I got you something, but I'll wait until we're in the apartment," Amanda said. "Can I give you a hug?"

"Since you asked, sure," I said reluctantly.

Amanda wrapped her arms around me, squeezing me tight.

"Okay, that's enough!"

"You are no fun," Amanda said as she released me.

"Let's go back inside," I said. "Jane's waiting." I walked back into the building.

"Ooh, are you two having a party?" Amanda's eyes lit up as she followed me,

"No, Jane has to work with her client and I was going to stay home," I answered.

"Good thing I came then," Amanda stated. "We can have some fun."

"My fun is staying inside so that I don't have to interact with people," I said bluntly. I used my knuckle to press the button on the elevator.

"Sometimes I wonder about Hannah's taste in women," Amanda said. "Good thing you're cute."

"Uh...thanks?"  We stood in silence as we waited for the elevator door to open. Once they did I walked inside, followed by Amanda.

"What do you want to do?" Amanda said as she studied me.

"I don't know," I said with a shrug. "I wasn't planning on spending my birthday with anyone since Hannah has to work. My family doesn't really celebrate birthdays so it's just another day to me."