Prologue Part 2 - A little More Background

Avelyn's POV (4 years ago)

I just finished cleaning the dishes. Now I have to make my way back up to my room before Mother or Father see me. If they do, I'm sure they'll find some reason to punish me. I just turned 13 a couple of days ago. I can tell you I didn't love my birthday present, that's for sure. I woke up to chores, and when I didn't finish on time, I was welcomed to another 'punishment'. Happy birthday to me, I guess.

As I reach my bedroom door and turn the knob, I'm startled in my step, as I feel a burning sensation start in my chest and slowly, but surely, make it's way up my neck. I quickly rush through the door, making sure to shut it softly--I don't want another punishment--even if it does feel like my skin is on fire. I'm sure an extra beating will just make it worse.

The scorching feeling doesn't subside. In fact, it seems to only get worse by each passing second. My whole entire body is now feeling it. I feel like I am burning from the inside out. Tears accumulate in my eyes, cascade down my cheeks, and die on my lips, only adding to the flaming sensation I'm feeling within, by leaving a scorching trail in their wake.

All of the sudden, the pain stops, vanishes, disappears. And I'm left shivering from a sudden cold chill that passes through me in tremors. I gasp out small breaths to ease the pain in my chest, seemingly vibrating. But I cry out softly from even more sudden agony--so I don't startle my parents and have them rush up here to yell at me. It feels as if I've been struck in the head ten times over, then kicked to the ground, forced to stay there while I take the ruthless beating, recieving blow after blow to my dainty frame and fragile physique. This is 100 times worse than any other punishment I've ever received. And none of those were easy to endure. I have the scars to prove it.

Again, the pain stops. But for how long, I'm not too sure. I manage to crawl over to my full body mirror in the corner of my room, which isn't difficult to do considering my room is literally the size of a closet.

I need to see the damage.

I tilt my head to look up from my crouching position to see myself in the mirror.

Nothing.

There's absolutely no mark or blemish to even show what I'd just endured. But, as if my body senses my internal dilemma, I feel three abrupt, sharp pinches on my left hip bone. Then one on my right-hand wrist. I lift up my sweat-soaked shirt to see three, what I assume to be strange names, in cursive on my left hip bone--the exact place I felt the three pinches. And there's also a golden tattoo of angel wings, with a halo just above, on my wrist.

The words--or rather, names--etched onto my already-scarred skin: Crimson, Dusk, and Comet.

'What the hell is going on here?' I think to myself.

'You're hallucinating. Yeah, that's it. This is all just one big dream.'

But, as soon as I think that, my shoulder blades sting with a sharp pain, leaving me gasping for breath as it feels like two poison-soaked knives are being plunged into my skin.

It's only then do I realize I have big ass angel wings sprouting out of my back. And, this is most certainly NOT a dream.

A strange buzz passes through my body, like I'm on some sort of sugar high. But the thing is, I haven't eaten in two days, let alone ingested any kind of sugar. The buzzing doesn't stop. My body begins to shake, like some sort of epileptic seizure. Suddenly, a blinding light splits through the room, and I'm transported into a different reality--one where I'm in the woods, surrounded by trees. I can hear the incessant chirping of birds and the other woodland creatures frolicking about.

I turn to look to my left and spot three pairs of eyes. One pair is a crystal blue, it rivals my own ocean blue eyes, but it doesn't have quite the same amount of depth--something you only receive through years of pain and torture. Another is green--green like the forest, green like the grass, green like poison, but somehow, they're comforting. The last pair are a mischievous shade of brown. A shade with a sort of heat that can only be described as smoldering. Like an inferno, they blaze right through me.

It's then that I realize I'm looking at three huge wolves. The one with the blue eyes has pitch black fur. It's dark like charcoal; it's like the dusk. The green eyes belong to a wolf with auburn fur; it has a copper hue, and it's massive. The last wolf is a honey blonde; it's like his fur is made of gold, and he's the one with the fire-brown eyes. I'm entranced by their beauty. But I soon notice that they aren't looking at me, they're looking behind me. Swiftly, they dash off into a full-on sprint right past me, as if they never noticed my presence. I try to yell and chase after them, but still, they don't seem to notice I'm there.

Then, unexpectedly, I come to. I wake up from whatever sort of trance I was just in. And the names on my left hip bone start to glow. Somehow, someway, I knew those wolves had something to do with the names tattooed on my body. And, for some reason, I felt like they were in danger. I need to help them. I don't know how and I don't know why, but I feel the urge to protect them from any possible harm. And just as abruptly as it had come and gone, the blinding light that had previously shot through the room returns. And I'm transported back into the forest. This time, I see a fight between what looks to be around 15 huge freaking wolves. Instantly, I notice the three from my previous vision.

They're in trouble, and I need to help. Now. I watch as the copper wolf is leapt upon by a couple of other, smaller, grey wolves. As a wave of possessiveness washes through me, I instinctively shoot my hands out toward the several wolves that are attacking him. A bright golden light shoots out of my hands, and the wolves fly back against a few of the many trees in the forest surrounding us. I have no clue what the hell just happened, but I don't have enough time to think it over when, suddenly, I have a gut-wrenching feeling something is wrong, very wrong. I turn to find my other two wolves, black and blonde, fighting off a couple of other nasty, gray wolves.

All I have to do is throw my hands out towards them, and they instantly cripple under the power I never knew I possessed. Then my two wolves, now safe, return to what stand by the copper-furred wolf. And now, I feel complete, like my job is done. My duty is fulfilled, and my purpose is completed. After my newfound relief washes over me, the blinding light takes me once again, and I'm being transported back into my tiny and insignificant room.

I don't know how or why any of that just happened. And I'm left utterly confused. But, what I do know, is those names must be theirs, and these new powers must have something to do with them--those huge, beautiful wolves. And somehow I know, that won't be the last time I'll see those wolves; it won't be the last time I'll have to save them. For now, I've made it my duty to protect them. And hopefully next time, I'll be more prepared.
____________________________________

I hope you liked this chapter. Let me know if there are any mistakes; I'm sure I missed some. It would be greatly appreciated. (: Untill next time...

Sincerely,

The Annoying Author Lady