Chapter 38 - A Birthday Beginning

A/N: really long chapter :)

♡♡♡

Avelyn's POV

"Help me up," I plead, now having been crouched on the floor for about 25 minutes, still catching my breath with the boys huddled around me.

"Ava, I don't think--"

"Please," I cut Xavier off, "I'm ready."

"Fine. But don't you think we should talk about this? I mean, you were just screaming for dear life in your sleep and then you woke up, still screaming. And your wings... Ava, we're just worried for you," Xavier breathes, eyes drooping sleepily. I obviously woke them up with my screaming, and it's currently 6:00 am, approximately 30 minutes after I was born. My parents--if you could even call them that--had told me as much. You know, when they weren't extremely abusive and neglectful.

I don't know how I even remember them telling me that. I guess I still hold onto all the good memories of my past, as there weren't very many and didn't last very long. I quickly learned to appreciate the little things in life.

"Not right now, Xavier. It's not really a great time for me, and all I want to do right now is pee. And I really want some orange juice." With that, and an almost unheard grunt of annoyance, Xavier helps me up; the other boys join him. I mutter a "thank you" once I'm standing and stretch out my very sore muscles, retracting my wings. My shirt is all torn and mangled, but that isn't really what I'm focused on at the moment.

I tread over to the bathroom at a leisurely pace, because while the pain is gone, my body still feels the aftermath. The guys are hot on my trail, no doubt wanting to be sure I make it to the bathroom alright. When I do, I open the door and flip the switch to the light, shielding my eyes from its bright rays.

'It's too early for this.' And I think it's safe to say I got some pretty shit sleep last night.

When I feel my eyes have adjusted from behind my arm, I let it fall and turn to my Given behind me.

'Is it wierd that I feel like our connection has intensified? Like our bond is stronger than ever before? Is it wierd that I never noticed Ashton has a tiny, almost indistinguishable mole on his jawline, and Cole's eyes don't just spark with fire; his whole personality does, too? And Xavier, his hair has natural highlights--not just a normal auburn but also slightly brown, ashy, and blonde in other places? Is it wierd that my magic hums even stronger when I look in their eyes?'

My eyes widen as I hear a thought, and... it wasn't mine.

'God, she's so fucking beautiful, it's crazy.' I can just barely recognize Ash's voice in the tone, as I'm still befuddled I even heard anything in the first place.

"T-thank you," I breathe, unsure at what to say. Their eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"Thank you for what, Ava?" Cole asks.

"Ash... he said I was beautiful. Well, I'm pretty sure he didn't actually say it."

"Oh my God," he gasps. "You can hear my thoughts?"

I nod. "Yeah, I-I guess so."

"But I didn't know that could happen. I thought you could only mindlink with your mate--not read their minds!" Xavier admonishes. My eyes widen. I almost forgot. I'm their mate! My mark!

"Oh my freaking gosh!" I step further into the bathroom and turn to look at myself in the mirror, lifting up my shirt to see my tattoos. We all gasp at the sight. "Holy crap," I mumble, no other possible words to say.