Chapter 26 - Mate?

Avelyn's POV

"Mate? Why would you call me that?"

His eyes widen, and he jerks back in surprise, immediately clamming up. He begins to stand, but I quickly grab ahold of his hand, holting his movements.

"What's wrong?" I ask, now skeptical.

"N-nothing's wrong," he answers instantly, head shaking in denial. "Are you hungry? 'Cause I'm hungry. Want some food? I'll make you whatever you want, babe," he begins to ramble, trying to deflect the question, but I know better.

'Didn't we just go through this?'

I lift my eyebrow in question, and he sighs, slumping back down onto the couch in defeat. "I didn't mean to say that word. It just slipped out. I'm sorry," he admits.

"Why would you be sorry?" I ask. "Please, tell me. It's not like it could be any crazier than the fact that I supposedly have some long, lost sibling out there. I'm pretty sure I can handle anything at this point," I grumble, and he nods slowly in agreement.

"Yeah, I know," he huffs. "I just don't think it's something I should tell you without the other guys being present." I roll my eyes, releasing a breath of air that blows a strand of hair out of my face.

"I'll just tell them I forced you to do it. I'm sure they wouldn't be mad then," I suggest, shrugging. He smiles, smirking.

"Yeah, I'm sure you're right about that one," he chuckles, but stops after a short moment, his face quickly changing from lighthearted to serious. "Alright, I'll tell you, but it's kind of hard to explain. So bear with me." I nod in okay, and he licks his lips before continuing. "So you know how we're werewolves?"

"Yes, Ash. I know how you're werewolves," I jokingly reply, giggling, and he rolls his eyes.

"Avelyn, what I'm about to tell you is serious," he grumbles, and I instantly stop my giggling, sitting straighter at his stiff tone. He sees this and smiles softly, finishing what he was going to say. "Well, all werewolves have this thing called a mate, short for soulmate." I nod, signalling to him that I understand.

"A mate is like a werewolf's other half. They were made for each other; they're perfect for each other, and they aren't completely whole until they have one another. They were fated by the Moon Goddess, Selene, to be together." He pauses for me to take in the information.

'What does this have to do with him calling me-'

My eyes widen in sudden understanding. "Wait, so you're saying I'm your mate? How does that even work? I'm not a werewolf, and what about the other guys? Do they have mates too? Oh God, Ashton, do Cole and Xavier both have mates?" I continue my rambling unintentionally.

'Shit! If they both have mates, then what about me? Do they actually love me like they said they did? Did I steal someone's mate, someone's other half? Oh God, I'm a terrible person.'

Ashton seems to sense my wild thoughts, and he swiftly brings me into his embrace, comforting me with his strong arms and pressing my back against his built chest. "I know what you're thinking, Ava. Don't. They don't have mates. Well, I guess they kind of do." I jerk forward in hurt and surprise. "No, no, no, let me finish, babygirl." I nod, slowly sinking back into him.

"They do have a mate, one that they share -- one that we all share. Do you understand what I'm saying, Avelyn?"

"If you're suggesting that I'm all of your mates, then I'd say that sounds ludicrous," I confess, shaking my head unbelieving.

'There's no way a girl could be that lucky to be all of their mates. Let alone me.'

He rolls his eyes. "I know it sounds crazy, but we've heard stories of it before. Stories of someone having more than one mate. Supposedly, it's a very rare occurence. So is having a mate that isn't of the same species, but it's happened before. Hell, it is happening." I turn to get a better look at him. Somehow, his cool, crystal blue eyes hold an unforeseeable amount of warmth. They faintly remind me of Cole's, but his small flame doesn't even hold a candle to Cole's bright, burning gaze. But within Ashton's barely-lit irises, resides a smouldering truth.

'He truly believes the words he's saying.'

"So, what you're saying is really true? I'm really all of your guys' mate?" I ask, practically jumping in joy. Being their girlfriend is one thing. Being their mate is another. We aren't just dating; we're destined. He grabs my hand, intertwining our fingers together, and his free hand lifts to rest on my cheek. His slightly warm eyes frosting back into their normal, crystal, icy hue, shining with mirth.

"Yes, baby. That's exactly what I'm saying." He slowly leans down to kiss me, giving me a chance to object, to back away. But I don't. I don't want to, and soon our lips meet, molding together perfectly, as they always do.

They've all shown me what it's like to love and to be loved. They stuck with me during my hardest time, never once giving up or losing hope that I'd eventually revive -- that my heart would be remended. And it has. It used to be shattered, but they were the glue to piece it back together again. But they didn't just stitch it back together, they modified it. They made it better. Because now, it's no longer dull. Now, it shines with jubilance and devotion. And it only shines for them.

I slowly pull away, needing to ask yet another question. When our lips untangle, and we've completely separated, he beams down at me. I return it. "If I'm your mate, how didn't I know? You seem to be one hundred percent sure that I am, but how didn't I feel it? I mean, I suppose I felt something, but I always just thought that it was the bond we shared, because you're my Given."

He chuckles, rubbing at the back of his neck shyly. "Well, a wolf doesn't officially get their mate until they and their mate are both eighteen. Until they're both of age. Though, the wolf has a sort of intuition and can sense their mate before they turn eighteen. That's what happened with you, and you probably didn't sense it because you aren't a werewolf. But when you do turn eighteen, we'll have to go through the mating process," he explains.

"What's that?" He blushes at my question, clearing his throat to collect his unexpectedly lost bearings.

"That's a whole nother topic, Avelyn. One I should wait to explain until the guys are here to help me. And I think we've learned enough for today." I can tell he's become uncomfortable and slightly bashful, so I don't press him on the topic.

'He's right. That was enough information for today.'

I can't wait for my eighteenth birthday that's in less than two weeks. Then I can officially be theirs.
____________________________________

Sorry for the late update, guys. But I'm posting another chapter right after this, to make up for its short entirety.
So, as always...

Until next time...

Sincerely,

The Annoying Author Lady