Chapter 24 - What Should've Been

(Time jump two months)
Ashton's POV

We'd found her. We'd finally found her.

We heard her screams of agony, and we ran like hell. But we were too late; he'd already ruined her. She's still perfect, don't get me wrong. I still love her with every part of my being, and I'd never give up or turn my back on her. But it wasn't hard to see; she was broken -- completely shattered. And it physically pained me to see it.

After we'd found her, Xavier hastily wrapped her up in his arms and covered her with his jacket. And Cole and I gave that monster what he deserved: a good, hard beating.

We punched, kicked, and tore him apart until he was on the brink of death. But we didn't kill him. We didn't want to give him the relief and satisfaction that came with a quick death. We wanted to make it as slow and painful as possible.

And, as much as I hate to admit it, we needed the fucker. We still didn't know where that backstabbing bitch, Sarah, was.

And it pains me even more to think that she could hurt our angel. That she would betray her trust and kindness.

It's been two months, and we finally have a lead. After we rescued Avelyn and abducted Ian, Sarah never showed up for school. I guess she realized we'd taken her little boyfriend for questioning, and knew that it would somehow trace back to her.

And it did. Finally.

After the two months of torture we'd been putting the leech through, he finally talked. He refused for a long time, not wanting to put Sarah in danger. But sooner or later, even the monsters will crumble -- just like the rest of us.

He fessed up to Sarah's possible whereabouts yesterday, and Xavier and Cole left to find her soon after, leaving me with Ava.

Ever since the incident, she didn't talk to us for two weeks. Two fucking weeks.

For two weeks, she didn't talk, eat, let us touch her, or leave her room. We tried to get her to eat, but it was all a pointless pursuit. We would've force-fed her, but we were afraid that she'd begin to resent us. And even though we knew she'd be alright because of her fast, angel, healing thing, it didn't make the sight any better or easier to witness. But finally, we had a breakthrough.

She cried.

And I know that sounds terrible -- that we'd be happy that she fucking cried. But after her not even showing the slightest bit of emotion, we were happy with anything.

Now, she's speaking. She's eating. She's welcomed our touch once again. And she's finally come out of that damned room. Though she doesn't say much, and we still haven't talked about what happend, but it's still enough to make my heart swell in joy and relief.

She'll never be the same again -- not completely. That much is obvious. But she's beginning to go back to her old, wonderful self.

Right now, I'm laying with her on the couch watching a movie, Beauty and the Beast. Both of our legs are stretched out and tangled along the length of the couch. My back is against the back of the couch, and her back is pressed against my chest. My left arm is draped over her waist, and my right arm rests under head, being used as a make-shift pillow.

The movie is at its end, and we're at the part where the beast gets stabbed. I can hear soft sniffles coming from in front of me, and I immediately forget the movie.

I turn it off and turn Avelyn's body so that it is now facing mine. Now her back is to the television, and her face is clear for me to see. I swiftly tuck the hair that fell in her face behind her ear, and I gently wipe away the tears that are cascading down her angelic face. Her ocean eyes are leaking like waterfalls, and I slowly lean in to kiss her cheek where another stray tear escapes.