Chapter 28 - Excitement and Explosions

Avelyn's POV

"You're back!" I squeal in delight, most likely sounding like an absolute child while I throw myself into their arms, clutching them tightly in my embrace. They chuckle at my enthusiasm, but they still wrap their arms around me, reciprocating my warm welcome.

It's only been about a day since I last saw them, but it felt like an eternity. Especially after finding out they're my mates, and I just couldn't contain my excitement.

"Hey, kitten! I'm guessing you missed us," Cole snickers, and I giggle, slowly separating myself from their warm bodies.

"Of course I did." I shove his shoulder playfully, wiggling my eyebrows.

"What has you in such a good mood, princess? Not that I'm complaining. Just curious," Xavier asks, one brow raised.

"Oh nothing," I giggle mischievously, looking over to Ash. He winks at me, and I turn back around to the other boys. "Just that you're my mates," I finish, hands clasped behind my back while I rock back and forth on my feet.

"What?! How did you find out about that, Ava?" Xavier asks, eyes wide in shock. He directs his gaze over to Ash who is currently looking at the floor like it's a mosaic. "You asshole! Why would you tell her without that?" He yells at him, and I put my hand on his chest comfortingly. He looks back down at me, and his features soften.

"I made him," I answer for Ashton. "He accidentally slipped up and said the word mate, and I practically forced him to tell me," I continue, and Ash looks up from the floor to give me a thankful smile. I return it gladly.

"So," Cole starts. "You aren't mad?" I turn to him in shock, eyes wide in frenzy.

"Of course not!" I answer quickly. "I'm so happy I think my heart is going to combust, actually."

"Whew," he blows a breath of relief, sweeping the nonexistent sweat off his forehead. "I thought you were gonna freak out," he admits, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

"She kinda did, dude," Ashton chuckles, and I turn to glare playfully at him.

"Shut up," I grumble, though I'm not actually irritated.

"Come on, guys," I'm quick to change the subject. "I wanna play with your wolves. It's been a while since I last used my magic, and I might, quite literally, explode if I don't let it out soon."

They nod eagerly. They're either excited for their wolves to finally be able to play with me again, or they don't want their house to burn. Either way, I don't really care. It's not like the fire could burn brighter than Cole's eyes, anyway. I practically skip to the backyard, completely content with my life as of this moment. My magic is buzzing within me, and it's difficult to keep it from emitting all at once.

It's like a lightning storm in a bottle. Bolts are constantly striking against my skin like it's the thin glass that contains them, and they want so badly to be free. So they never stop trying, and soon, they're able to make their fateful escape -- theoretical bolts shooting out of me in the form of a bright, golden light. They're emitting everywhere, from my toes to my fingertips, surrounding me in a blinding glow.

"Holy shit, Avelyn," Cole gasps, covering his eyes like the other two, trying to block the blinding light from damaging his retinas. "Has it always been that bright?" I'm unable to answer him at this moment because the glow doesn't falter -- continuing to surround me in its too-bright fluorescence and draining all of my energy.

But finally, the bursts of golden magic finally begin to subside, and I fall to the ground, already completely exhausted. But my boys are fast on their feet, arriving at my side in a matter of seconds.