Chapter 2

"Mom what are you talking about? What is going on with you?" I was so confused.

She lead me into the living room and we sat on a blue sofa.

They must have gotten it after I left because I don't remember ever seeing this thing.

"Everything you think you know is about to change and I just want you to know that I love you. That we love you" she held my hand in hers.

My father walked in and raised his eyebrows.

"Is everything okay?"

"Dad, What is going on with mom?" My voice was cracking because she was really staring to freak me out.

He wanted to reply but my mother cut him off "Tobias he knows."

Who knows? And what does he know?

My dad took a deep breath in and his expression changed from the one second to the other.

First he looked confused and now he was staring at me with a mixture of sadness and alertness.

"How?" He simply asked and crouched down in front of us.

My mother took her phone out of her apron pocket and blew some flower off the screen.

She unlocked it and showed my dad a message. I didn't need to read it to know what stood there. It was the same message I got when I arrived.

But hers had two letters under it.

KT I think?

"Mom! What is going on?" When I first got the message I didn't think much about it.

It wasn't the first time I was notified by some random numbers. But the fact that my mother got the same message actually scared the shit out of me.

"My name is not really Kayla Momsen" she answered with a croaking voice.

I frowned and pulled my knees up so I can put my arms around them.

This gave me a feeling of safety. Back then when I was a kid I always rolled up. I don't know why.

"My real name is Kaden Sarah Tersec and in my past I displeased some really powerful people. Now they found us and they want you to make-" she stumbled.

"What do you mean your real name is Kaden? Is this some kind of sick joke? 'Cause I swear it's not funny!" I snapped at her.

I was feeling as if someone pulled the floor under my feet away. My parents both watched me despondent.

This isn't real. It can't be. If that's not her real name then what else is a lie?

"Are you my mother?" I sobbed.

Something touched my hand and when I looked down I noticed a little tear. I was crying.

She pulled me in a

"Oh, of course I'm your mother! I just-" her voice cracked and she couldn't finish her sentence.

"We just can't protect you anymore" my dad said and when I glimpsed at him I realized that he was crying, too.

I pulled him in for the hug and the three of us stayed like this for a while.

My mother was the first one to let go and wipe her tears away.

"What do we do now?" I asked worried.

So many questions went through my head.

Why did you have to change your name? What did you do to piss those people off? Are you a criminal? Do other Tersecs exist? In what kind of danger am I? What about you?

My father peeked at his watch "We have dinner. It's late. Tomorrow is still a day."

"Tobias!" My mother protested but he waved her off.

"I'm the eldest in this house. That means I make the decisions" he stated.

My mother turned her body towards him and raised her eyebrows.

"Is that so?"

"Well, love. My passport says so" he chuckled and made his way into the kitchen.

I payed attention to my mother again.

"I'm serious. What do we do?"

She chewed on her lip and thought about my question. I used the time to study her face.

It's been a while since I've seen her and he definitely has changed. Her face was covered with more wrinkles and under her eyes two dark half circles were visible. She generally looked tired and she had definitely lost weight.

My mother was part of those people who forgot to eat when they're stressed. I on the other hand was the opposite.

Her face was narrower and her cheekbones were clearly standing out.

"I don't know."