New place

Angeline

"This is your key to the apartment, this is the address and this is your monthly allowance. In a few days you will receive some more money, that is for clothes, or shoes. Don't expect much, you know how hard it is for us here to receive anything in order for us to accomodate you all."

I nodded at her, I knew how it worked here. They care less about the kids in foster home and they give rat ass to those who misbehave.

"Good luck Angeline."

I nodded at her again, and walked towards the van that was waiting for those who were leaving the agency. Either to go to the stores to shop for clothes, or me who was getting in the van to go live on my own.

The ride was about fifteen minutes, we dropped off some kids with some adults at the near by shopping center then the driver headed to the West Lake Apartments.

The closer we got the dirtier the streets looked, less people, more alcoholics and drug dealers started to show up.

Really they send us off to a shitty area?
How they expect us to beat the odds?

The driver left me right outside the small apartment complex, "hey you have any change?"

"I'm the one in need of change."

The old man said something under his breath and walked away.

After I checked in the reception the lady took down my information and welcomed me.

Not much of a place to feel welcomed.

There were no elevators, ten floors and had a faint dusty smell all around, no matter what floor you went to.

I reached my floor and there were some girls at the end of the hall, they all looked high, and sounded hysterical, then I saw some guy come out of the room half naked to let them in.

The guy turned my way and he took me in, I could feel his nasty eyes on me. To top it off he winked at me, I gave him a disgusting look and opened my door and closed it behind me and made sure I locked it double.

The place was small, had a kitchen and a living room right next to the other, I walked around there was a small room in the far end. It would be a miracle to fit in a decent size bed, instead of this foam mattress they have.

Well this is my life now, what am I suppose to do? where do I go?

I have some money I can go shopping.

I put some money away in one of the drawers in the room, maybe taking all of the money wasn't a good idea.

I left my room and asked for directions to the nearest shopping center, it was about five miles, nothing was near in this place.

I decided to grab a city map, the buss stops were also far.

"Hey cutie?"

I turned to look at a young girl, I remember her, she was at the agency I think a year ago.

"You have a dollar?"

"um, no I don't."

"Oh, come'on I know Cynthia gave you some money when you left the Center, spare a dollar."

"No, actually the money hasn't come in yet. I'm suppose...."

"Bullshit! you lying bitch!"

"Hey man!" I put my map away, ready if this maniac wanted to fight.

"Hey.. hey..." she put her hands up in surrender, "I'm sorry, I get... I get, hahah I get a little bitchy...I.. sorry. Sorry...."

I saw how she walked away, talking to herself. I'm not sure what kind of drugs she's on, but she sure looks bad.

With the little money I got I was able to buy me some jeans, some shoes. I stopped at at grocery store and just walked around buying mostly cookies, water, juices, and some milk, and cereal, after all that I decided to headed back to the room. I wonder if this is how life will be from now on.

Do I get a job? but how? where do I start applying? what do I know how to do?

After debating on what to do, I headed up stairs to my room, to my surprise the door was jammed and it looked opened.

"What the fu...!"

I cautiously walked in the room, maybe whoever was inside might still be there.

As soon as I opened the door I could tell someone had come in and search for something, all the kitchen cabinets were opened, the two chairs were upside down. For some reason I had the feeling to check my room, I ran and to my surprise the bed had been taken apart flipped to the side and the top drawer was open.

"NO! my money!"

There was nothing there, unbelievable what the hell!

How?!

They took my money! that's all I had!