Old Parts

Lorelai

I was having breakfast when Jacky and Angeline came down, Jacky was ready for school while Angeline was ready to go job hunting. I was ready to head to work, not really wanting to leave Angeline alone after what happened last night.

I wasn't sure how to go about it. I've never seen a child look so frighten of someone's touch.

"Angeline?" I saw her stiffen a little, she didn't look up. "What stores have you chosen to look at this morning?"

I saw her exhale, "um, the umm, this book store that needs help part time, and also the petshop, and or the coffee place, or this law firm office, that needs an assistant to file paperwork."

"Oh that sounds nice, book store I mean. I get free books."

I saw her turn to me with a sly smile, "not a chance."

"Worth the try," I got up washed my dish and walked to the living room, "leaving in ten minutes, make sure ya'll wash your teeth."

"Yes ma'am." Angeline replied back, Jacky must have just nodded.

I collected my things after one last restroom visit and headed out the door, "girls!"

"Have a good day Jacky, I'll be here when you get out."

"Ok." she got out the car and shyly waved back, Angeline waved back from the front seat.

"Ok, do you need me to drop you off anywhere? or do I take you to my job and start walking from there?"

She was still looking out the window, "I can walk." Clearly avoiding eye contact.

"Alright,"

My playlist on my phone was rocking it this morning, so I was silently singing along when Angeline lowered the volume.

"What you don't like the classics?"

I saw her looking at me, "why haven't you asked about last night?"

I had arrived at work now, I pulled over before turning into the parking lot and turned to her. "I haven't asked because I want you to talk to me about it, I don't want to have you relieve a memory you don't want to share."

She just stared at me, not sure what to say.

"When you're ready, you come tell me. You come share that painful past, I don't want to see you suffer Angeline, I did mean it when I said I wanted to give you girls a better life."

I saw her eyes get watery, I didn't want to push it. "Ok.."

"Alright, well there's my friends bakery shop if you want to ask her for a job." I pointed at the pink color door.

"She'll hire me right away for favoritism."

"I can have her give you an interview." I smiled at her.

"If I don't get hired anywhere else I'll ask her."

"Fine." I smiled at her.

"Thank you..." She grabbed her side bag she had purchased last time we were out strolling the town and left my car.

I felt like that 'thank you' was not for the interview.

I smiled at her as she walked towards the pet store near my job.

It hurt to know that someone did something bad to her, is she rebellious because she lost faith in anyone who wants to help her?

My day consisted of Ramon, Raul, and Jasmine coming in and out of my office for new models that were out, old models that needed parts from out of state, and vendors who needed parts shipped out of state. I had to sign, print and email new inventory that needed update plus I need to try to finish a project I was also working on to re-sell it. Long day, I needed a break I still had three hours to pick up Jacky and drop her off at the after school tutor.

"Jasmine I'm heading ou...."

"Yes, its an old antique radio cabinet."

I watched Jasmine talking to Carmella, they were studying a pictures.

"It needs sound, custom repair, but also keep the original china paint."

"Yes."

"It's impossible to do, we would need to remove the radio from the main head, which we have to undo some parts from the sides, back and under the main head to take the whole system apart to properly make it work and re install every piece back."

"Exactly..." Carmella told Jasmine.

"Lorelai? I didn't know you worked here."

"Jasmine I'll take care of it."

"Ok, I have some other parts I need to google for purchase, I'll give you a list and links to see which are best for Samuel's Radio." Jasmine took some paperwork and left us. 

"Ok, thank you." I placed my purse on the side counter, "lets see," I took the picture in my hands, the beautiful radio laid behind a round hand crafted counter with floral patters, in the middle of two side cabinet doors with original handles. This master piece was definitely an antique. "Wow.."

"You should see it in person."

I shoot my eyes to hers, was she inviting me to her place? what?

"I mean like if you could see it... it's a nice... its.. its nice cabinet..." she stutter every word after that, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"Right... right... its a nice one."

"You were headed to lunch? going home?"

"Yes lunch, I have a headache I been working none stop." I took one last look at the picture. "It'll be a miracle if you can find someone to fix that for you."

"You were very good with fixing a lot of damaged things, I remember you fixed a watch from scratch."

"Yeah well that's a very expensive china brand."

"I have been searching for years someone to fix it for me. It's all I have from an old friend."

"Oh..."

"I been asking around and everyone told me to come this way, little did I know they knew the best of the best."

"I can't fix that..."

"You can fix anything you set your mind too."

"Look I have a headache and I'm starving."

"Let me take you to lunch then, maybe then I can convince you to fix my radio..."

You know that annoying person who keeps asking for dates, or just hang out? you get to actually just ignore the calls or text, but seeing Carmella here I can't possibly say no for the forth time right?

"No hu? you're busy." I watched as she took the picture put it in her purse and turned to me one last time. "have a good day."

I watched as she stepped out of my small radio shop.