Square One

Angeline

Lorelai had come back home after dropping off Jacky, I had my first class online and she said she didn't want to leave me home alone. I think its because she doesn't want to go back to work and possibly see my therapist, grownups are complicated. She should just talk to her and explain, I mean the woman is a therapist, she can get anyone talking.

I was in the computer for two hours, on and off lecturing and some reading. It felt weird doing all of this, everything was going so fast, but I mean its a good thing, I just don't know if I were to fail these classes, would Lorelei still love me? Or like I mean want me? What if I get bad grades? What will happen if I'm not good with school? What if I just want to work? Would she be upset? Would she kick me out of the small house she's building me?

So many questions, excitement and nervousness all seem to cloud my mind, but for now working and schooling seems ok. Lorelei has been the only understanding person I have been with, for now she's been great with Jacky and I.

"I will be dropping off some packets for each class," my teacher snapped me out of thought, "you can try to do at least 2-3 pages per day, and by the end of the week we should be able to go over the packet you finished through the week." I nodded at her, "Let me get them all together and I should be able to drop them off to Lorelai's work or at her house, I'll be contacting her personally."

"Ok sounds good. Thank you."

Once class was over, I let Lorelei know and she grabbed her things and drove me to work, it was my first day of work, I was nervous, but a good nervous. A happy nervous, like things were finally going good. I was headed to the book store, later I would be working at the pet shop cleaning up after they close for the day.

I had everything calculated; some school work in the morning, log in for class meeting in the morning, or if the teacher decided to personally show up at Lorelei's we'll have one on one together, school was always in the morning, and work in the afternoon.

I had given Lorelai the times to drop me off and pick me off.

"Please be safe," she dogged through her glove compartment, "I got you this phone for now."

She handed me a the small smart phone, with case and everything.

"It has my number, the sheriffs number, and my best friend's number. Need anything you can give us a call or text us." She smiled at me, "got it?"

I didn't know what to say, I've never really had a phone of my own before. "Wow, I will pay for my own service once I start working!"

She just smile, "alright, don't worry for now."

"Ok." I wasn't sure how to say thank you, to be exact I've never said anything before to anyone.

"Have fun!"

I closed the door and smiled at her, she drove off, unsure if she would be going home or work since she spent all morning with me at home. 

Mr. Luther showed me around the book store, briefly talked about how the store is managed, the book sections, book codes, code entries, code searches and so much more. It look very easy as there was not much people who come in but mostly shipping order from online buyers. I was excited to get the day started, I packed some books, printed some shipping labels and clean some book shelves as I waited for the tourist to start coming in, both Luther's advice me to be ware of tourist who will always try to sneak in a book or two on their way out.

"Sweetie that was fast?" Mrs. Luther was looking at the bins filled with the shipping orders on the floor. "Charles take a whole day. Thank you for that."

"You don't have to thank me, that's why you pay me Mrs. Luther."

"Oh call me Lucy, or momma lucy, or GranGran. My grandkids call me that."

I smiled at her, "Oh GranGran." I liked the sound of that, I've never had a grandma, or an aunt, or any family overall. I felt a weird rush of warm feeling. I smiled at it.

The day went smooth, around three thirty or four o'clock, mail man walked in. "Good afternoon, here for the daily pick up."

"Hello,"

"Hello young lady, new here?" He looked at me with a smile.

"Yes"

"Ricky Rick at your service,"

"Jacky, first day."

"Well miss Jacky first day, I come here every day around the same time, pick up anything you have for delivery. And I bring in your mail." He placed two empty mail bins on the floor and picked up the bins in front of the room and took them out, "here is your mail, have a good day miss Jacky."

"Thank you, you too." I place the mail on the counter and let the owner deal with that. I went back to cleaning book shelves and waiting for online orders.

The day at the book store went pretty calm, I cleaned some book shelves, and placed some more books online. It was time for me to head to my next job.

"GrandGrand, I'm leaving."

"Ok sweetie, please keep track of your times on a paper or so. We don't have any time cards, or clocks. I trust you will keep track."

"Ok I will work on it tomorrow!" I waved back at them and closed the door behind them. The tourist rush hour was coming to and end, some shoppers here and there.

The book store and the pet shop were in the same small shopping area, mostly filled with passing tourist, people who came to have lunch date as they passed by to the main city,  some tour the historical areas in our town, or nearby towns.

"Hello, I'm here for the job." I entered the pet shop and was greeted by an elderly woman.

"Hello darling, yes I was expecting you. I believe you spoke to my daughter last time."

"Yes, I think I had the interview with her."

"Well, welcome. You will be much help. She has two young boys and can't come help me all the time, she insisted I need help. So I will gladly take it if you're a Lorelai's girl."

"Thank you."

"I won't pay much, as you know it's a small town, not much going out as I wish. But hopefully, the little I can provide can be useful for school. Lorelei told me your starting school soon, my daughter went to college and its not cheap, start saving now it will help!" She laughed and smiled at me.

"Really? I've never thought of college, but thank you for letting me know."

She smiled and let me through the store. The job consisted of cleaning rabbit cages, the parrot stands, two beautiful Red yellow, and blue tail parrot, not sure their exact name but it was beautiful. I love that he or she wasn't in a small cage, beautiful birds were out on a huge stand looking out the window right by the entrance. Some hamster cages, and so on. Mostly cleaning cages, wasn't so bad.

I spend my afternoon talking to one of the birds as it kept singing and flapping its wings. Not bad for my first day, the hamsters were the worst, but overall, everything was going smoothly.